Interior DIYs Audio/Visual Equipment, interior trim upgrades, etc.

Sunroof Removal & Roll Cage Installation (92-95 Civic Hatchback)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Sunroof Removal & Roll Cage Installation (92-95 Civic Hatchback)

It's almost 6 AM and: I'm bored, can't sleep and feel I should chart this info down for all the members who are rocking their mom's cars still. Yes I am aware my pictures suck and I shouldn't own a 1DMK2. For this situation you're lucky I used my 1D and not the Powershot.

What you need*:

Chisel
Hammer (5lbs ballpeen preferably)
Phillips screw driver
Flathead screw driver
Hex keys
Ratchet
10mm socket
14mm sock and combo wrench
17mm combo wrench
12mm socket and combo wrench
Wire cutters
Electrical tape
Extra bolts and nuts
Drill with assorted bits
19mm tire iron
Floor jack
*I am not liable if I forgot to mention a tool or my bolt sizes were different

Let's DIY!!

First we start off with our Honda Civic SiR EG6. As you can see below with a full interior. I bought my car from a friend who put it *** backwards into a tree the first weekend he had it so the rear end was replaced and I didn't have too much to remove in the rear... You'll want to start off by removing every interior item that will get in the way. Removal of the front seats requires a 12mm socket.

To remove the seats you'll need a 10mm socket and wratchet wrench. 1 bolt holds the bottom cushion on and then you just have to wriggle the clips out of the slots, You'll then want to remove the top peices and that bracket that bolts to the wheel wells.

After removing the seats take your chisel and hammer and beat all that sound dampening material off the floor of the hatch. Then remove the rear wiper and motor with a 10mm socket. You'll need a 5mm hex key to adjust the locking latch

Removing the rear seats, brackets, sound dampening material and rear wiper motor and wiper blade freed up 47 lbs

Now on to the front.

Removal of the head liner requires a Phillips screw driver and some anger. You'll have to remove the map light, interior light and sun visors. Pulling the sunroof requires a 10mm socket

Getting the carpet out requires removing all center console items, shift ****, disengaging the hand brake and you'll have to cut some parts to get the carpet out. Use chisel and hammer to remove sound dampening materials. Removal of center console items, sound dampening and some of that insulation behind the dash freed up 22 lbs. Removal of the sunroof freed up 18.

You'll need a wire cutter and electrical tape to cut the sunroof and interior light harnesses and then tape the wires up so they don't cause a fire. I also recommend pulling the fuses to avoid electrical fires.

Make sure to vacuum the interior out before putting stuff back in it.

You can now install cage

I decided to put the sunroof back into the car as my solution to plugging it was to rivet sheet metal over the hole and the thought of the flimsy *** sheet metal flexing all day long while I was driving convinced me to put the sun roof back in.

You'll need your big *** hammer to beat the sunroof frame up maybe .8 inches or more.

After main hoop clears sunroof you'll want to put the seat belt bolts into the b pillar brackets to keep the main hoop in place but don't tighten too much or you won't be able to adjust the main hoop to fit the rest of the cage.

Now you'll want to attach the rest of the rollcage pieces to the main hoop. Do not tighten the bolt as you'll need to added play to adjust the position. Once everything is in place and where you want it go ahead and tighten the bolts down and begin drilling. Don't forget to install the steel plates on the bottom the car. THEY DO NOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE BUT UNDERNEATH THE CAR!!!!!

After cage is installed vacuum out all the mess and put your interior back together.

Once install is completed feel free to post pictures of you hard parking your new cage and going on jungle safari's.