Interior DIYs Audio/Visual Equipment, interior trim upgrades, etc.

Gauge Pod Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Default Gauge Pod Install

Thank you to XCM828 for this DIY.

Before you begin: The gauge pod doesn't come with mounting hardware (or mine didn't at least), so you will need to find 4 screws and nuts that are reasonably small. Make sure they are short!! (See problems I ran into below)

Step 1: Buy dual gauge pod and 2 gauges.

Step 2: Hold gauge pod up to A-Pillar, and make a mark on the pillar once you have found the place on the pillar you want to mount the pods.

Step 3: Pull off the A-Pillar. It make take a little prying, but it is held on by metal clips, so you can use some force to get it off.

This is what you will see when you get the pillar off. Those are speaker wires.

Step 4: Align the pods with the line you drew earlier on the pillar, and push down so that the pod bends out and becomes flush with the pillar.

Step 5: While pushing down on the pods with one hand, grab a drill with the other hand and drill a hole in one corner of the pod all the way through the pillar. The size of the hole depends on the size of the hardware you are using, but the screws should only just fit through the hole.

Step 6: Insert a screw in the hole, and on the underside of the pillar, put the nut onto the screw, and tighten using a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to hold the nut stationary. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 for all four corners.

(I only had 3 screws, so I could only do 3 corners, but you should do all four)

Step 7: Drill 2 good sized holes (big enough for gauge wires to pass through) into the back of the pillar, leaving room for the gauge so that wires will not have to bend unnecessarily to pass through the hole.

Step 8: Thread all of the wiring for your gauges through the two holes, and push the gauges into the pods

Step 9: Reinstall the pillar. While doing this, push all of the wires (you may have to extend some of them) down through the hole that the speaker wires go down. This takes a lot of manuevering, so don't get discouraged.

Step 10: Wire your gauges according to their instructions.

Problems I ran into:

My screws were too long, so when I tried to put the pillar back onto the car, it would not install properly because the screws hit the frame of the car and scratched it all up. So MAKE SURE that your screws are short enough that you can clear the frame.