The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

computer guy need help with computer to tv upgrade.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default computer guy need help with computer to tv upgrade.

ok well i have a dell dimension E520 desktop computer and i just bought a new tv, 65inch Mitsubishi HDtv and call my crazy but i would LOVE to have my computer screen viewable on the tv!!!!!! now its not as easy as my parents labtop and bravia tv since my tv doesnt have a computer cable input and i dont think my computer has a output.

now i dont need HD output from my computer just a component video output. i believe i can simply use my speaker output with a simple Y adaptor and rca adapter to hook into my surround sounds component inputs.

but i dont know much about computers.
i asked a guy at best buy and he said i needed a media card or something like that then a higher power supply and with them installing it it would be about 300bucks... and well thats alot.... and id like to keep it under 100bucks if possible.

so you computer guys..... can you help me out with some good recommendations?

this is my tv i just bought.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_690WD65...37.html?tp=162

and i also upgraded my surround sound receiver as well to have the HD.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....7&type=product

i bought some HDMI cables for my surround sound setup BUT i cannot get them to work with my cable box, surround sound and tv. i just cannt seem to get it to work. but i do have it hooked up to the hdmi component cables so i guess its ok. im going to ask my cable guy if he has any clue or can help me out with the hdmi cables since they are new to me..... hes coming out saturday to run a new cable line for my new tv so ill ask him about the cables but still id like to figure out how to work with the computer video to hook it up to my new tv.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 PM

According to this, your manual, you have a DVI port on the back
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/NH730A01.pdf

(it's the long white port where the diagram on page 1 says "PCI Express graphics card")

DVI and HDMI are both HD, and are extremely similar. All you need is this cable... an eBay cheapo will work just fine... I have one and it works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Gold-DVI-mal...d=p3286.c0.m14

There are all different lengths available on eBay to suit your needs. Just try to make sure you get gold plated.

For connecting the speakers, I would just use this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-to-AV-RCA-...ht_2075wt_1167

It's only 1.2 meters but there's other lengths on ebay

Just plug it into your green 3.5mm jack on the back of the computer, and the RCA ends into either your TV on the same input as the HDMI for your video from the computer, or plug directly into the stereo. It all depends how you have your TV hooked up... if you have the TV hooked up to the stereo, then plugging the computer sound into the TV will allow you to play music through whichever you choose, without having to unhook anything ever. This can be nice if you ever want sound but don't want it in surround. All you have to do is switch the stereo input to your TV and mute/turn down the TV volume to have it completely over the stereo, or turn the stereo off or mute/turn down the stereo's volume to have it completely on the TV.
Or, you can go straight to the stereo. The only thing about this is that you won't be able to play sound through the TV if you choose to without unhooking stuff and moving cables.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

o sweet! i really hope it works that easy!
thanks man!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 AM
HCF Member

i have that same tv
its awesome
and we use an HDMI cable from our laptops to the back of the tv works pretty good

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well i bought the dvi cable and a extension hdmi cable to go to my tv and well im trying to get video to both. but so far its just one or the other
i cannt get that CLONE mode to put a picture to both for some reason. if i put it on clone mode it only goes to one monitor the primary computer monitor.
now if i set it to EXTENDED mode then i have just a picture of my background on my main computer screen, but i do have the full picture displayed on my tv which is good BUT i would like to make it so the clone shows up on both monitors that way i can work off EITHER/OR both monitors instead of I HAVE to work off my tv monitor.

can you guys offer any more help with this clone mode getting the same video to both monitors? ive played and played and can just not get the same picture to both monitors

Old 09-24-2009, 06:48 PM

Here's some instructions from that manual I posted

Connecting a TV
NOTE: You must purchase an S-video cable, available at most consumer electronics stores, to connect a TV to your computer. It is not included with your computer.
1 Follow the procedures in "Before You Begin" on page 59. 2 Connect one end of the S-video cable to the optional TV-OUT connector on the back of the computer. 3 Connect the other end of the S-video cable to the S-video input connector on your TV. 4 Connect the VGA or DVI monitor.
Changing the Display Settings
1 After you connect the monitor(s) or TV, turn on the computer. The Microsoft® Windows® desktop displays on the primary monitor. 2 Enable clone mode or extended desktop mode in the display settings.
• In clone mode, both monitors display the same image.
• In extended desktop mode, you can drag objects from one screen to the other, effectively doubling the amount of viewable work space.
For information on changing the display settings for your graphics card, see the user’s guide in the Help and Support Center (click the Start button, click Help and Support, click User and system guides, click Device guides, and then click the guide for your graphics card).

You might need to adjust your display settings for your TV via the display settings on your computer, such as the resolution. Keep playing with different resolutions... I think 1386x768 is the one that you need for an HDTV. You don't need to play with actual setting on the TV though, just the computer.

Can you take a screenshot for me of the window you are in while trying to turn on clone mode?

Also...
Right click on the desktop and look what the options on that menu are. Sometimes on Vista, if you have an ATI graphics card, there will be an option in that right click menu that mentions the Catalyst Control Center (ATI's graphics management user interface) or something like that, and has a red icon next to it. Clicking that will bring up a menu that has much more options and is more user friendly for clone mode and the like. Make sure if you have this in your right click menu that when it asks you, you use the advanced view of Catalyst Control Center (I find the basic view to not be all that useful or user friendly)

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-24-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i go in tru my NVDIA control panel. no time to take pictures of it now tho gotta go to work. but i have the screen adjusted to fit thru the computer on my tv so thats no problem there.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well still cannt get it figured out.
i set it to 2 clone screens and my tv goes blue screen and my computer monitor gets the picture like normal.

now if i set it to dualview it gives my tv the main desktop and gives my computer monitor just the back ground picture, and i can drag stuff over to the other screen by dragging the curser over to the far right.
i just cannt get both monitors to get the same picture

its really starting to bug me already. i might just unplug my dell monitor and only use the tv monitor.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 PM

try this
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...dpost&p=155387

ignore the s-video part. continue to use the same cable you already are using.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-25-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

nope still no better. i just have it selected to one monitor to my tv now and ditch the old little screen all together.
hell ive only had it hooked up to the tv 2 days now and its already hard to go back to my little 17inch computer screen.LOL
thanks for trying... i just dont know WHY my clone mode will not work properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: computer guy need help with computer to tv upgrade.