The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Japanese tuning firm Trust/Greddy declares bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Japanese tuning firm Trust/Greddy declares bankruptcy

Not sure if i should be posting this here or somewhere else, but i figured everyone would want to know.

"The market for aftermarket parts from Japan has been declining for well over five years, due in part to decreased demand both at home and abroad and the rising rates of Chinese knock-offs and other inexpensive (and dubiously built) components.

Today, one of the world's largest performance parts companies, known as Trust in Japan and Greddy here in the States, declared bankruptcy. According to various reports, Trust is approximately $60 million in debt and, after reporting a serious decline in sales since February 2008 and amassing $43 million in loan payments, filed for bankruptcy in Tokyo District Court.

Trust has been around since 1976, employs almost 200 workers and had been dealing in everything from CARB-legal exhausts to turbo systems when Greddy Performance Products was founded in the U.S. in 1994. There are several firms that will step up to fill the need of enthusiasts, assuming that Trust doesn't try to reorganize, but with the aftermarket industry down overall, we suspect this won't be the last time we'll hear about a large tuner going under.
"

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/10/j...es-bankruptcy/

Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

....wow

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

i am shocked! Greddy is a trusted and been around for a long time. i just heard about it from a friend today. Also, heard Apexi is also filing for bankruptcy in Japan. Wondering if they will have some kind of clearance sale... lol

Last edited by sfazngiants; 09-10-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
i am shocked! Greddy is a trusted and been around for a long time. i just heard about it from a friend today. Also, heard Apexi is also filing for bankruptcy in Japan. Wondering if they will have some kind of clearance sale... lol
o snap lol goin outta business sale :O thatd be sick ha

Old 09-11-2008, 02:08 PM
HCF Member

well I guess I can find myself a greddy sp2 exhaust for hella cheap instead of the current $500 price tag

I need to get a greddy sp2 or apexi ws2 exhaust before they run out lol

Old 09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

This sucks.
Iv heard Spoon Sports might go under to.
But dont quote me on it, all i heard was they lost a ton of money.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

seriously, mind blown.

There goes the rear window banner, new screename Trent? Wow man can't belive this, and Spoon too??? Seems like businesses like this would be booming since Fast and the Furious hit hte scene, but i guess the cheap parts are what the ricers buy

Attached Thumbnails Japanese tuning firm Trust/Greddy declares bankruptcy-you_blew_my_mind.jpg  
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Theres rumors of 3M possibly buying them out, as they have with Meguire's. But, I wouldn't count on it.

this is the wrong section, it has nothing to do with General Civic Talk...moved

Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Snail'n Admin

Damnit. Effin bums. I hope spoon doesn't go under, I had some plans to buy stuff from them, Buddy Club too

Old 09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
HCF Member
Default UPDATE: Greddy in U.S. still good to go

"In a follow-up to our previous post about Trust's bankruptcy filing in Japan earlier this week, GReddy – Trust's U.S. arm – has issued a press release (available after the jump) to assure Stateside consumers that all is well and operations will continue in the U.S. unabated.

According to the release, Trust filed for "Minji-saisei-hou" in Japan, the equivalent of Chapter 11 in the States, that will allow the performance parts manufacturer to continue its business while it reorganizes. That process will have "little, if any effect on GReddy Performance Products" in the U.S. GReddy plans to feature three new project vehicles at SEMA this year, and both Trust and GReddy have adequate inventory and personnel to service customers.

PRESS RELEASE

TRUST CO. LTD, JAPAN, FILES FOR MINJI-SAISEI-HOU IN TOKYO

GReddy Performance Products Inc., Parent Company to Undergo Reorganization Through Japanese Equivalent of U.S. Chapter 11 Filing

September 9th, 2008, Irvine, CA-GReddy Performance Products, a California Corporation, has announced that its parent corporation, TRUST Co. LTD, has filed for Minji-saisei-hou in Tokyo, Japan, the U.S. equivalent of a Chapter 11 reorganization plan. As in the U.S., this filing is a common strategy utilized by companies to allow them to continue to conduct business and service customers while undergoing an internal reorganization process.

This reorganization will have little, if any effect on GReddy Performance Products Inc., USA. GReddy assures its customers that it has ample inventory of all products for the U.S. market, and there are no production delays on new and current product lines coming from Japan. GReddy looks forward to exhibiting at the 2008 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, NV in its 20' x 40' booth, and will have three new project vehicles and new 2009 products on display. Representatives from both GReddy USA and TRUST Co. LTD Japan are attending the SEMA Show to answer questions about the reorganization and future plans for the company to retain its dominance in the sport compact market segment for the next 30 years.

Stated GReddy Performance Product's Kenji Sumino, "TRUST Co. LTD Japan has filed for bank protection in order to restructure. This does not affect GReddy Performance Products USA at this time. In fact, we are working on plans to assist TRUST Co. LTD Japan during this process in every way we can. We have more than adequate inventory to sustain us until TRUST Co. LTD Japan returns to full production capabilities. As more information becomes available, we will release it to the media.
"

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/12/u...ll-good-to-go/

Quick Reply: Japanese tuning firm Trust/Greddy declares bankruptcy