Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"D4" light blinking

Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Default "D4" light blinking

Just put the engine/transmission back in a 99 civic, turned the car on and I noticed the gear indicator light blinks at D4 constantly regardless of what gear is selected. Also the check enginelight is on, not as worried about that though, just something in emissions right? Anyways, I've shifted through the gears and they seem to work right a little clunky, but i don't know if that's a problem yet. Haven't driven the car yet though because I don't want to damage anything. Any help would be awesome thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Default RE: "D4" light blinking

Why did you have the engine/tranny out in the first place, and what was done?

Old 06-28-2006, 08:07 PM

I pulled the engine/tranny out to replace the front end basically from crash damage. I guess it's possible that the crash screwed something up, but i don't recall that light doing that before i pulled it out.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:31 AM

The D4 light is not only a gear select indicator, but a malfunction indicator for the powertrain control module (PCM). If it blinks as you describe, the computer has detected a fault in the system and has stored a code(s). The diagnosis procedure is no different than it is for checking the ECM trouble codes. If you are interested I can give you the procedure and troubleshooting chart. Before then, though, double check to make sure all connectors are plugged in properly on the transmission and the fluid is at the proper level. As for the check engine light, it is not related to the transmission light, but should be addressed none the less.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 PM

I would love the procedure and troubleshooting chart. Do I need a special code reader or is there a way to get it with a mutimeter/test light? Oh and I've taken it for a little spin around the block and something is definitely not right, it feels like the tranny is slipping alot (torque converter perhaps?) Anyway i step on the gas and the rpm goes up a lot higher than it should for the speed.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Again, make very sure your transmission fluid is at a sufficient level, and put Honda ATF in it ONLY. To check the code, you first have to find the service check connector in the corner under the passenger side dash. It should be a small blue two wire male connector. With the ignition off, use a paper clip to link both terminals of the connector together. Turn the ignition to ON and watch the D4 light. Use the page below as a guide and record the blink pattern. Let me know what you get and I'll check it out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10908/26E7F220C6214511B258F678B0E8410F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2006, 02:13 PM

D4 light: 2 short 1 long 6 short ( I used Chevron ATF Dexrom III Mercon, the haynes manual said that dexron 3 was ok, is this incorrect?)

The check engine light just blinked 7 times

Thanks so much for all your help,

Will

Old 06-30-2006, 05:32 PM

VERY incorrect. Check a little closer, it may say that DEX III is ok temporarily, but not permanently. I've seen other fluids do strange things in Hondas before. Did you refill the whole transmission or just a quart or two? As for the D4 blinking, the 2 short blinks at the beginning seem strange. I haven't done this procedure for awhile so I can't remember if it always blinks twice before it reads the code or not. The pattern shouldn't include the short blinks before the long blinks. Watch the pattern again and let it repeat itself a few times. My guess is it will be 1 long and 6 short, which correlates to 16.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 PM

it continues the same pattern 2 short, pause 1long six short pause 2 short pause, etc....if this is code 16 what does that correlate to? I have the codes for check engine light and the 7 blinks says to check the tps so i will do that and I guess get the Honda ATF and see what happens. thx

Old 06-30-2006, 06:01 PM

If it repeats itself then it has stored code 2 and code 16. I'll check it out as soon as I can.

UPDATE: The diagnostic flow chart for each code is two pages long. It will require pulling out the PCM from the under the passenger side dash and using a multimeter for various tests. I can post all four if you like, but I would suggest first checking all connections on the transmission to make sure they are secure and following all wires to ensure they are intact and not shorting out. Also, check all your fuses.