Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Maint Req" Light on - No codes found.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Default "Maint Req" Light on - No codes found.

Hi,

I own a 4DR 2001 Civic EX. I don't know of any problems with my car, it runs like a champ, doesn't leak anything and all of the parts are in great shape. At about 60,000-65,000 miles my "Maint Req" light came on. I haven't had much time to check on it so I drove up untill 73,000 (I drive a lot, so that was only a couple of months... still would be a huge risk if there would be a huge issue that triggered that light...). A guy I work with is a huge car junkie, he mods his cars and trucks all the time, sohe happened to have a computer to check my car for any codes that triggered that light. No codes were found on my car, so me and my buddy are assuming that somewhere between 60,000 and 65,000 my Civic triggered that light for a normal maintanance cars are suppose to have at that milage. Now, I've already done my full service before 60,000, so that's not an issue for me. I do, want to know if we're right, or there's something I have to be concerned about. If there's nothing to be concerned about, I'd like to know how to turn that light off; I don't have the manual.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: "Maint Req" Light on - No codes found.

It its Maint. Reqd light, its normal, just a friendly reminder for you to get into the shop and do your normal tune-ups, if its the Engine Service light, that will pop a code for you.

Maint. light is simple to kill, If you have a newer civic, or honda in general, throw your key in the ignition, with the car off hold in the Trip Reset switch for 20 seconds or so, then turn the key all the way on while still holding the button in, wait another 20 - 30 seconds, the light will flicker when your car is running, then go off. it's good for another 3000 miles, then after that it will blink a few times when you start up, after another 7000 I think it will remain on again until you or a dealer resets it.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM

In my 96 civic, it comes on every 75,000 you can reset it by inserting your key into the rectangular hole in the instrument cluster.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

His dash is all electrical / computerized, he won't have that option. Older honda's have the key insert option, they should have left it that way if you ask me.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Yea there is lil rectangular port on the lower left side of the speedo and if you stick your key into it you'll see the lil colored window switch from red to green. It's basically and idiot check light, it's sapposta turn yellow at around 3-5 thousand miles (can't remember exactly) and then red at 7500 miles, just trying to remind you to change your oil check, check your fluids and any other general maintinance that's sapposta happen after so many miles ( don't remember eactly all of them...).

Old 01-14-2007, 02:36 AM

Yeah, I don't have that little key hole anywhere around... I have a 2001 model. I'll try the 20 seconds trick. So, I'll have to do same thing every 3,000 miles? That's going to get a bit annoying since I get 3,000 miles very quickly since I drive a lot.
Good to know it's nothing serious, though.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:54 AM
HCF Member

ok, on the "maintainence required" indicators....anyone know why Canadian-market civics don't have them? Believe me I'm NOT complaining, they sound like a pain in the a$$. Just curious why Honda decided that we didn't need them?

(perhaps because we have better memories and remember to do our car maintainence on time?? JUST KIDDING before someone rips me a new one)

Old 01-14-2007, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

depends what year you are talking about... no civics before the ek's have them... if you are saying that the canadian ek's dont have them either... i have no idea why

Old 01-15-2007, 03:17 AM

It's cause Canadians wouldn't be smart enough to figure out what it means... like me.... but I'm Russian... lol j/k