Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Whining" Noise in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Default "Whining" Noise in Reverse

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so hopefully I'm not asking a stupid question. Be nice.

I have a 2003 EX, 61,000 miles. I bought it new, and have followed maintenance by the book. I do not drive the car aggresively.

1) When I move in reverse, the car makes a moaning/whining sound that's really loud. It's coming from the front of the car. The sound is made when I'm both on and off the brake. Sometimes, though, it doesn't make the sound, but it usually happens. This only happens in reverse.

I recently did my 60,000 mile maintenance, and the dealership mechanic said that the front brakes need to be replaced, because they're worn down to the sensor (I don't know what that means, forgive me). He said this was causing the moaning sound. However, if it is, why would the sound be made when I'm not pressing the brakes? It doesn't make sense to me.

I am an infant car person, so I don't know cars too well. Any ideas? I'm going to take the car elsewhere for a second opinion.

2) I still have original tires on and they said they needed to be replaced. Do the original tires typically go for 60K miles, or more? I guess it depends how I drive, eh?

Thanks. I hope you'd be willing to help me.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: "Whining" Noise in Reverse

Well, civics do make a whining noise when you back up normally. You brakes could be making more noise too.

For the tires, look at the tread on all of the tires. If they are looking bald get some new ones. Tires vary in the milage they can get. 45k-90k, more or less.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

Well, civics do make a whining noise when you back up normally. You brakes could be making more noise too.

For the tires, look at the tread on all of the tires. If they are looking bald get some new ones. Tires vary in the milage they can get. 45k-90k, more or less.
I've never heard of tires getting 90k miles, but maybe that's just me...

typically, 30-60, maybe 75k depending on how you drive (30k for people like me who love to hear their tires squealing)

as for civics making noise in reverse, they do always have a whine going backwards if you're flooring it, but light gas pressure shouldn't result in a ton of noise.

i'd say take advantage of honda car care month, and get the 40-point checkup for free from a local dealer

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/hccd.asp

Old 04-18-2007, 08:29 AM
June 2010 ROTM

I got the 90k estimate from some tire manufacturing co. that had a 90k warranty. crazy hey??

Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

mine whines too, i think its normal on Civics.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

yea mine also whines, the faster you go, the higher it whines

Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM

It is normal. The reverse gear is cut differently than gears 1-5.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

I ran some tires for 60k once, never 90, lol.

Oh yeah and mine whines too, it's normal.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

if its only in reverse and your explainging the noise everyone is telling you then they are right but i know my rotors were warped and it made a whicnning sound but it its only in reverse i doubt that is the problem

Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM

point of fact guys, some whining is normal, but the loud inconsistant whining he is talking about is likely not, especially if it's whining when he's got the brakes on/not in motion

the brakes making it would make sense if they were rubbing, but if the pads are worn completely, i would hope they wouldn't rub (definitely get your brakes done though)

all in all, i'd say get the brakes done, and the sound checked out at the same time (they're required to take the car for a test drive after doing a brake job)

Quick Reply: "Whining" Noise in Reverse