Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Whining" Noise in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Default RE: "Whining" Noise in Reverse

Thanks for your replies so far.

Yes, it's definitely an abnormal sound. (Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post.) The sound is very loud and causes heads to turn in a parking lot. Maybe whining isn't the right word, it's more like...crying / wheezing / complaining type sound. Only in reverse, both when applying to brake and not applying brake.

Anyhow, I should just get it fixed, but I think the dealership charges way too much for specific repairs. I find their maintenance prices to be competitive (30/60/90K service and oil changes), but it's their added fixes that they charge a ton (like wanting $450 for 4 new tires)

I'm still confused why they explained it's a problem of the brakes when going in reverse, when I'm not applying the brake.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 PM

i'd just take it to a local shop & get the brakes done, and inform them of the sound before they start work.

they'll take it for a test drive after doing the brakes (possibly before too)

and investigate it

Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 AM

Hi All,

In case you were wondering, yes it was the brakes and the mechanic told me that it's designed to make that crying sound when it's time to get the brakes replaced. If I had waited longer, it would have been metal on metal bad news.

I also need new tires. I still have the original tires and I'm at 61,000 miles.
Any suggestions? I live in Los Angeles and just want the best financial value. I'm a conservative driver.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 AM
June 2010 ROTM

I prefer to use Kumho tires, but it's all relative if you drive conservatively.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like it's resolved, but here is why our Civics all "whine" in reverse.

From Wikipedia:
The teeth on the forward gears of consumer automobiles are helically cut. When helical gears rotate, their teeth slide together, which results in quiet operation. In spite of all forward gears being always meshed, they do not make a sound that can be easily heard above the engine noise. By contrast, reverse gears are spur gears, meaning that they have straight teeth, in order to allow for the sliding engagement of the idler, which would not be possible with helical gears. The teeth of spur gears clatter together when the gears spin, generating a characteristic whine.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM
HCF Member

take your car to your local tire shop...tell them you need new tires.....they will prolly hook you up with some good all seasons for cheap....the guy i go to will mount/ballance/install your tires for free if you buy them from him....also, if any thing every goes wrong with one, he will fix it or replace it...FOR FREE...try to find some one like that.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:26 AM

I have the same symptoms as the original poster. THIS IS NOT THE NORMAL REVERSE NOISE. It is a high pitch squeal that turns your head. I would not turn my head for reverse noise. This is abnormal. I will produce a video so thereare no questions so others with the similar issue will not get "its normal" response. I found that my rotors are warped however did not cause steering wheel vibration and the outside edge of the pad was worn out.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 AM
HCF Member

Brake pads have little metal tabs that screetch when the pads wear out. When theyre just at the beginning of making noise, it can happen only in reverse, & it can sound different. Wait a couple weeks for it to become the recognizable screetching sound.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

For your tires, I am a "normal-to-somewhat aggressive" driver. Most days I drive like everyone else but some days I just have to rip through the gears. My current tires are BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. They are a directional tire. I am very impressed with them. They are rated to go about 75,000 miles (125,000kms). I installed them 38,500mi (62,000km)ago, and they are at about 50%. Great traction in wet or dry, I have TRIED to make them hydroplane (yes, I know...not smart) but they just DON'T! Some people find them noisy, but I would buy them again. Check out www.tirerack.com orwww.epinions.com for tire reviews. Hope this helps!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SilverSedan

For your tires, I am a "normal-to-somewhat aggressive" driver. Most days I drive like everyone else but some days I just have to rip through the gears. My current tires are BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. They are a directional tire. I am very impressed with them. They are rated to go about 75,000 miles (125,000kms). I installed them 38,500mi (62,000km)ago, and they are at about 50%. Great traction in wet or dry, I have TRIED to make them hydroplane (yes, I know...not smart) but they just DON'T! Some people find them noisy, but I would buy them again. Check out www.tirerack.com or www.epinions.com for tire reviews. Hope this helps!
Good info, but you are replying to a very old thread.

Quick Reply: "Whining" Noise in Reverse