Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01 Honda CIVIC EX 5speed clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Default 01 Honda CIVIC EX 5speed clutch noise

Hey all,

Wanted to see what you guys think this noise might be coming from the engine.... I start the car and after it warms up I notice this mechanical spinning sound that is constant until i press in the clutch... once I release the clutch it starts making the noise again.... Does this make sense?

Also I have noticed an idle issue that I am having after cold start. It was go through the warm up and once it hits 1k rpms it does a stutter idle likes going to stall out and almost does and then flutters itself back up to 1.5k and does this a few times till it gets to idle of 0700rpms. I have noticed that if I hold the idle at 3k for a minute it will not do this issue.... Do I need to clean the IACV and throttle body? I'm thinking about doing the idle relearn test as well.

Thanks in advance!

DC

Car has 127k miles on it.

When I took it to a shop they said it was either the idle relearn needed to be done, or IACV needed replaced.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Noise idling in neutral, that goes away when you press the clutch pedal down, is going to be from the input shaft bearings in the transmission. It's a common problem.

Talk about the idle issue belongs in the other thread you already started about it.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 AM

Thanks MK378, do you know how to fix it.. it is a new jasper transmission..... do i need to take it to who installed it?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 AM

Also, I put them together because I was wondering if they were related. Since it seems to only happen when cold and seems to effect the drive of the vehicle till it is warmed up. The Idle relearn is making it run smoother so far but hasn't fixed the issue.

Thanks in advanced for anyones help!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

So apparently it was the o2 sensor when I took it to Tuffy. I'm taking the Car back to Kumler where i had the transmission work done as it is still under warrenty it sounds like bearing going bad.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 PM

to me that sounds like a throw out bearing if the noise goes away when you press in the clutch.. which is also a common problem with any 5 speed vehicle..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM

SO does that mean replace the clutch?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

It's your mainshaft bearing, will need technical know how to dismantle the transmission casing apart.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DarthCivicus
SO does that mean replace the clutch?
technically no you dont have to replace the clutch.. BUT.. if you are going to pull off the tranny and replace the throw out bearing you might as well change the clutch as well.. ESPECIALLY if you take it to a shop to get done.. because you will pay twice the labor in the long run..

Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 AM

It's a little discerning just because the transmission that is on the car is only 8 months old, are the bearings suppose to go out that fast? I thought it was clutch related because when I push in the clutch it stops but once it is released the noise comes back. I talked to a shop close by and they think it is the throw out bearing, i think that is part of the clutch, or am I assuming incorrectly?

Quick Reply: 01 Honda CIVIC EX 5speed clutch noise