Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 civic si (1.7 v-tec) wont connect to scanner

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Exclamation 02 civic si (1.7 v-tec) wont connect to scanner

so lets start at the basics, the car is in limp mode (green key is flashing and the car wont rev up, no tach, or temp gauge.) and when i try to connect to a scanner with the key on, the scanner wont connect at all. just constantly says searching but never connects. before the car went into limp mode it was loosing all power for short periods of time between cold and operating temperature (what i now know was slipping in and out of limp mode). it would idle rough if you let it rev down or if you put your foot into it, it would fix it for a short period, off and on till the car built up some heat. when the car was warm i would never have a problem with it and it ran and drove normal. recently the problem got much worse to the point where if you hit the rev limiter it would go into limp mode and if you turned it off and turned it back on it worked fine. this happen 3 times before the car went in to limp mode completely and wont work at all. i drove the car for months with this little problem until the engine went (unrelated issue) and i bought a good non v-tec 1.7 and put my head and wiring harness on the block. after installing the new engine the car worked the same with the loss of power between cold and operating temperature but i only drove it a week and the problem got worse to where i am now. original thoughts when the car quit was a bad or failing sensor like tps, temp sensor, oxygen sensor ect.. that caused it to go in to limp mode. now im thinking that the ecu has quit or a bad relay but i dont want to spend the money on having a new ecu coded to my car if its not the problem. any other thoughts on what it could be? every time i think of something it could be i keep coming back to why wont the car connect to the scanner.

sorry for the novel, i just dont want to answer a bunch of questions when i can get in all out at once.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

i didn't read your entire post but usually when the scanner does not connect to the ECU it means the ECU is bad.