Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Civic trouble cranking & trouble accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Default 02 Civic trouble cranking & trouble accelerating

As my name says, I don't particularly know cars.

2002 Honda civic lx
Approx 170k

Here's the basic deal-

We have a code, lower coolant sensor etc etc. The car "struggles" cranking. I can turn it & it'll start, shutter, & turn off. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that it's a problem. Earlier this week the engine stopped accelerating, even with the gas pedal down. Spark plugs were changed, as was the fuel pump & filter. Drove fine for 2 days (just general errands, but was driven to test it as well). Hesitated cranking today, got about 1/2 mile down the road & tried accelerating & it nothing would happen. Was able to get home, but car wouldn't get above 15-20mph.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

well did you replace the coolant sensor ???
Engine coolant temperature sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 01-25-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
It is being towed this morning to a garage where it will be checked. I was hoping to get insight of other possible issues from other civic owners who may have experienced the same.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

you didn't answer my question so im going to assume you didn't replace the sensor or even read the first paragraph of the wikipedia article i posted. i own a 2004 civic when and if i get a code i replace the parts relevant to the code given i don't go throwing money on parts that could be related to the issue. it sounds like your mechanic ripped you off for stuff you didn't actually need instead of replacing the inexpensive sensor in the first place ???

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 01-27-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

+1 do not expect any car to run properly with a code set.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
you didn't answer my question so im going to assume you didn't replace the sensor or even read the first paragraph of the wikipedia article i posted. i own a 2004 civic when and if i get a code i replace the parts relevant to the code given i don't go throwing money on parts that could be related to the issue. it sounds like your mechanic ripped you off for stuff you didn't actually need instead of replacing the inexpensive sensor in the first place ???
No rip off here at all. The garage put it on a machine for 15 minutes and found 3 additional codes Advanced did not. He also researched and found a notation on the car about a fuse box component issue. 4 sensors were replaced as well as the noted issue that's over 10 years old.

I appreciate everyone being giant ******** when I asked for additional information, not for people to come down on me for looking at everything. No wonder this website sees little traffic in comparison to other sites. Get over yourselves you jack wagons.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

i tried to get more information from you with my original question and you took offence to it for some reason or you didn't want to hear what i was saying either way the reason we don't have more members is because of obtuse people like you who only hear what they want to hear. im absolutely sure your mechanic found a bunch more problems to charge you for lol. live and learn i guess but there's no reason to call members names . anyway good luck on the other forums that i can guarantee you im also a member of if not a mod.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 01-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.