Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 civic will not start, click from under gear shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Default 02 civic will not start, click from under gear shifter

Been having trouble starting for a month, now will not start at all. Turn key to on position and everything seems normal, but as soon as you go to crank you hear the fans die and nothing happens except you hear a click from under the gear shifter in the center (automatic trans).

I put a new starter in back in May but haven't had problems while turning over, it will just do nothing.

Any help?

Thanks

Last edited by Soumodeler; 12-29-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Turn the headlights on and watch when you try to start. If they go out, the whole car is losing power from the battery. This is often because the battery terminals are corroded and not making good contact. Or the battery could be run down or defective. Diagnosing that would require a voltmeter.

If the headlights stay on, the problem is either the starter or the car wiring. Besides the key switch, there is also a switch that won't allow starting unless the shifter is at P or N (this doesn't have anything to do with the clicking sound though).

Old 12-29-2013, 03:11 PM

I checked the headlights, and it cranked the first time without much trouble. I turned it off and tried again, and it would not crank, and the headlights stayed on. However, the clicking from the gear shifter is gone now.

Also, the fans did not come on after the first time I tried to crank it, and I can now hear a double click from somewhere in the engine compartment after releasing the key from the start position after trying to start it.

I am not good with electrical stuff and hopefully I can narrow it down further.

Thanks!