Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 EX Strange Intermittent Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Default 02 EX Strange Intermittent Overheating

So the other day after about 5 hours of driving I was going down a hill and noticed my thermostat gauge start to move... rather quickly. I pulled over and shut her down for a few minutes as I looked around to see if she was pissin. No leak anywhere, checked the radiator and it was definitely full, so I got back in and turned it on. Gauge rose to a normal place, but I didn't hear any fans come on even though the engine was definitely still hot. I hit the a/c switch and neither of them did anything. The next day I was finishing the rather long drive(I should mention the outside temperature hasn't gotten above 40), and at the very end while I was driving to my house in the city, it started overheating again. At this time I had the a/c off. I hit the a/c button in hopes the fans might come on and cranked the heat to draw heat away from the engine, and the heat cut out for about a minute at a red light(longest ****ing red light ever). I started driving again and the heat came back(despite the a/c being on) and the temperature dropped to normal. Got out, checked the coolant in the radiator again, still at the same level. I have determined it must be either a fan relay, the fan motors(id be hard pressed to believe both motors would go at the same time), or the ECT. Anyone else have any similar problems to this? I'm running the car right now and it seems to be fine on account of it being cold as hell outside.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Default 02 EX Strange Intermittent Overheating

So the other day after about 5 hours of driving I was going down a hill and noticed my thermostat gauge start to move... rather quickly. I pulled over and shut her down for a few minutes as I looked around to see if she was pissin. No leak anywhere, checked the radiator and it was definitely full, so I got back in and turned it on. Gauge rose to a normal place, but I didn't hear any fans come on even though the engine was definitely still hot. I hit the a/c switch and neither of them did anything. The next day I was finishing the rather long drive(I should mention the outside temperature hasn't gotten above 40), and at the very end while I was driving to my house in the city, it started overheating again. At this time I had the a/c off. I hit the a/c button in hopes the fans might come on and cranked the heat to draw heat away from the engine, and the heat cut out for about a minute at a red light(longest ****ing red light ever). I started driving again and the heat came back(despite the a/c being on) and the temperature dropped to normal. Got out, checked the coolant in the radiator again, still at the same level. I have determined it must be either a fan relay, the fan motors(id be hard pressed to believe both motors would go at the same time), or the ECT. Anyone else have any similar problems to this? I'm running the car right now and it seems to be fine on account of it being cold as hell outside.