Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 Civic oil light stays on at startup, will flicker off, then come back on

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Default 03 Civic oil light stays on at startup, will flicker off, then come back on

I had an issue with my engine where I had so much smoke coming out of my exhaust it was like a smoke screen. I took it to Honda and they stopped the smoke. Well they didn't stop it. Instead of 100% of smoke, it was now 20%. They did pressure tests and they came back fine and couldn't find anything wrong. They also did flushed my engine and did a oil change. About three weeks later, after my warranty ran out, the oil light and engine light come on while driving. The engine light stays on but the oil light flickers. It will come on when I start the car, and after a few seconds it'll turn off. It'll stay off and then while I'm driving it'll flicker back on again, and it'll repeat that process while driving. Took my car to another shop and they replaced my air/fuel ratio sensor, and put in new spark plugs. They reset the engine light and everything was fine, but I forgot to tell them about the oil light. As I'm driving, the engine light comes back on, and so does the oil light. I was going up a highway that is on a mountain and has very steep inclines. The car felt sluggish like it did not want to go up the hill, and then the oil light flashed on and stayed on. It did that for the entire ride until the road flattened out, and then it would flicker off, then on, but this time it stays on a lot longer.

Based on that all of that, can anyone give me their thoughts on what the issue is?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Go back to the garage that did the plugs and sensor and have them check the engine light again.

As far as the oil light, sounds like a worn out engine especially since it's making smoke (is the smoke blue/gray and smells like burneed oil?) Could also be low oil level, clogged oil filter, wrong type of oil / residual "flush" material (don't ever do that), or what everyone hopes but is very rare: bad oil pressure switch.