Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

06 Civic Motor Mounts Can't Align Hole - Engine is Tilt Back! Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Default 06 Civic Motor Mounts Can't Align Hole - Engine is Tilt Back! Help

06 Civic. After removing the last bolt on passenger side old mount, the top part of engine tilted backwards toward the windshield. The oil cap is more than half way under the black plastic shield by windshield wipers! It was jacked with a 1 x 8 resting on the floor jack pad with length of wood running from front to back of the pan. As a result my new mount is 2 inches from the bolt hole! When I grab the engine and try to yank the top forward, It will only budge about 1 inch forward.... NOT the 2 inches I need. I tried using a 3 foot crow bar there is no metal to use as leverage to pull the engine forward again. The new mount is bolted in "loosely tightened" so I can move the parts until I get the holes aligned.

I have looked at at least 7 videos of this civic mount install, and everyone says to use a block of wood to cover the entire pan. I am now wondering if I should have used maybe a 2 x 4 to push up against the REAR of the pan only.... instead of putting the jack pressure on the whole pan. In other words it seems to me that the further back I can place the jack, the less chance of the engine tilting backwards. (Make sense?) Also, maybe I could run the more narrow wood from left side to right side of the pan rather than front to back so that there is no pressure put on the front of pan and only the rear of the pan will be pushed up.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Do you think jacking ONLY the rear of the pan will help (I do not want to try it unless I feel it will help, because I do not want to chance unnecessarily re-moving my jack or crushing my pan.)

Any idea VERY much appreciated. SEE PICS IN ALBLUM HERE.....

SINCE THIS POST I WAS ABLE TO SOLVE....SEE MY POST BELOW

THE FIRST FOUR PICS IN ALBUM DEAL WITH MY LATER POST BELOW

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...unt-hell-3853/

Last edited by Honder; 04-11-2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM

Just to update and maybe help someone else with the same problem...... Got that sob mount in! Rather than trying to shift the top of the motor forward by re positioning the jack, I decided to use a different approach. I was able to shift the motor forward by using a small bottle jack under the hood. I put the top part of the bottle jack inside of the metal compartment where that upper "dog bone" T shaped mount goes. I then put the base of the jack in side that triangle metal piece AND against that tall bolt that sticks straight up. (You will need a jack that is able to pump while it is in the horizontal position without loosing the hydraulics. I bought my jack at Harbor Freight. It was the smallest jack they had for $19.99.)

Anyway, once I started pumping, the top of the engine moved forward perfectly, but now was just about 1/8" to far toward the driver's side. I was then able to screw in the 2 bolts with no problem.

NEXT.... i had to use the jack to push the "dog bone" slightly toward the rear of the car to get those holes to align. SEE PICS

NOTE.. The very last step to the "dog bone" mount holes to align perfectly (from left to right) I had to stick the back part of a wrench into a gap somewhere and easily pried the motor 1/4 inch toward the holes That is when I used the c clamp vice seen in the pic

In hindsight, I maybe should have tried to move the jack in a different position under the oil pan. I did have positioned almost all the to the rear of the oil pan already, so I do not think moving the jack an extra inch or two would have helped much.... but maybe. Another thing that i could have done would be to have put a piece of plywood under the back part of my floor jack to make up for the slope angle of my driveway

If you use the method I described to fit your jack inside that metal "dog bone mount" compartment, you may want to get a "ram jack". It is not as wide as the Harbor Freight jack and you will not have to struggle to make it fit inside that tight compartment.

I just wish I had known a fool proof way to avoid the motor shifting problem in the first place. It took me an extra day or two to grief to figure out how to get those holes to align and turned a fun job into a headache.

I added 4 pics to alblum... the ones that deal with this post are the 1st four pics shown in alblum

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...unt-hell-3853/

Last edited by Honder; 04-11-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Add pic link