Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1.6L Distributor sensor failures

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Default 1.6L Distributor sensor failures

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a 1997 Civic LX with a 1.6L engine. There have been multiple distributors put into this vehicle before I bought it for a deal, 4 to be exact. I am now on my 2nd distributor. Something keeps causing the CYP- cylinder position sensor, TDC- top dead center sensor, or CKP crank position sensor to go bad inside the distributor. And of course since you cant replace them i keep having to buy distributors or dizzy housings. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THE INTERNAL DISTRIBUTOR SENSORS TO KEEP FAILING!!!?? ECM/PCM maybe? Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

That's a weird problem, but start with the easy stuff first. Make sure your plugs are the correct type, gapped correctly, and your wires are within the spec resistance.

I've blown coils and ignitors due to improper resistance in the system. If that would contribute to the sensor blowing I'm not sure. Are you putting aftermarket distributors in? aftermarket ignition parts are notoriously bad. After three bad aftermarket ignitors in a row, and a lot of wasted time, I'll never buy aftermarket again.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure the insulator plate is in place under the rotor. Without it sparks can jump from the high voltage section into the sensor section and cause damage.

Maybe the car's wiring is bad or the ECU is flakey? Have the "bad" distributors been confirmed with ohmmeter testing?