Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1989 Honda Civic Hatchback Wont Start

Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Default 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback Wont Start

So here is the situation. I was driving around and my car seemed to die on me a few days ago. It stalled out and my gas pedal wouldn't respond. I managed to get over and after waiting a few minutes I was able to get it started again and drive home. Since then the car has been unable to start. It will turn over like it's trying to, and even start then die out after I few seconds but it won't idle.

I have already replaced the whole distributor and flushed my radiator of fluids and even replaced my radiator cap. The battery is also brand new. As of now I'm thinking it might be the main relay or the fuel pump but i have no idea how to check those. When I turn my key all the lights come on in the dash like normal and i can even hear my fuel pump click on and off when the check engine light appears.

Edit 1: So I tried to test the fuel pressure by loosening one of the nuts off the fuel filter to see if fuel would just spray out. Fuel does come out but it seems to be more like a trickle rather then spray. Also the tank does have fuel in it.

Edit 2: Okay so I went and replaced the main relay and it still won't start. Like i said earlier, the all my fuses are good and even with a brand spanking new main relay there is no change. This makes me believe that it's the fuel pump that's bad which I hope to god I'm wrong. I really don't want to drop my fuel tank when it's more then 3/4 full

Edit 3: Something I noticed about my car is that there is a sticker that says something about an alarm along with a little red LED light near my steering wheel that looks a lot like an alarm of some sort. I purchased my car used and was never told anything about an alarm, or even if its aftermarket or stock. I also cant find any information about 1989 Honda Civics having alarms. This makes me think that it could possibly be a kill switch since my car will turn over and start, but die within a few seconds. Looks like I will be searching for a killswitch tomorrow as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Without a gauge you can't know if the pressure is really sufficient, but you can see indirectly if the pressure is high enough to open the regulator. Check fuel flow from the return hose from the regulator to the line on the firewall that goes back to the tank. If there isn't a good flow there, either the pump is not building sufficient pressure or the filter is clogged. You can check for clogged filter by checking flow on both sides of the filter.

Since the pump comes on and runs it isn't an electrical problem.

If you do get a good flow of clean fuel out of the return hose it isn't a fuel problem.

The tank would need to come out to change the pump but it has a handy drain plug to empty the gas out first.

Last edited by mk378; 01-05-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Get ur alternator tested. mine was doin the same. i replaced battery, checked fuses, and turned out it was the alternator

Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 AM

Hey guys Im just checking in to give you an update. It ended up being my fuel pump. It had power, but something faulted and it wouldnt produce the necessary fuel pressure. Just replaced the whole kit, and she started right up.

On a side note, cleaning out my IACV and other plugs has fixed my hunting idle issue. Shes purring now. =]