Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1993 Dangerous Brake Issues ? PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Question 1993 Dangerous Brake Issues ? PLEASE HELP!

Hi there! New to the forum, and hoping it can shed some light on an issue I am having with my 1993 Honda Civic. Just to give a little background, the car has only 62,xxx miles on it, as I bought it 3-4 years ago off and old man when it had only 38,xxxx miles on it. He was very well off, and used this civic as a car to park at a train station, rather than his mercedes or bmw.. Anyways...
I've had issues with the brakes and everyone I ask, no one seems to have a clue. I had even brought it to a mechanic, who couldn't figure it out. The cars brakes completely give out when slipping, either on ice, snow or even just a damp road. There is a ticking on the passenger side front end, and the brake pedal seems to push back at me when it happens. For a few seconds I have no brakes at all. It even happens if i hit a pot hole on that side of the car. Tick tick tick tick (no brakes)... I actually hit a lady the other day lightly on back of her car, because the brakes stopped at a red light. The roads were just a little wet from rain, and for those few seconds no brakes, and i bumped her... Is it ABS related? I dont see any ABS lights come on... ?
Yesterday I went out in the snow, just to go down the road to get milk. I came downhill to a red light, and with just a little snow/slush on the road, tick tick tick tick.... Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... brakes pushing back as I just slid right through the red light.. I will no longer drive this car... But I want to get it fixed and need an idea of what the heck is wrong with it?!?!?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First see if your car even has ABS. The base models (DX and LX) did not. If it has ABS, the ABS light should come on then go out (bulb test) when you turn the key on but don't start.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
First see if your car even has ABS. The base models (DX and LX) did not. If it has ABS, the ABS light should come on then go out (bulb test) when you turn the key on but don't start.
It is an ex. And the abs light shows. But I do not believe it comes on when this brake problem happens...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

Wow thats scary glad you and the car are ok. Do you know what kind of pads are on there? Ive heard of cheap pads retaining moisture and people having to ride their brakes for 100 ft or so to dry them out. I would recommend getting the name brand brake pads that cost more. They formulate the pads with better materials.