Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Civic DX has electrical power but won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Default 1995 Civic DX has electrical power but won't turn over

I have a 95 civic DX non V-tech. When I turn the key everything works (lights, blinkers, a/c, radio, etc). I have been having a problem with starting the car for a while. Up until recently, sometimes when I turn the key I could hear the starter clicking, but it wouldn't crank. If I continued turning the key over and over, it would eventually turn over. I got in the car today and now I don't even hear the clicking. I assumed it was the started to I replaced it. Still nothing. I connected a lead cable from the battery to the solenoid and the solenoid works fine. I then checked battery cables for connection and corrosion. That was fine. I then had the battery checked at Autozone and they said it was good. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the clutch pedal safety switch ( by that I mean in order to start the car, the clutch pedal must be engaged). Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem? If anyone can think of something else it might be, please respond.

Also, The check engine light is comes on and goes off after a couple of seconds as it should and I hear the fuel pump.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check that the starter works while on the car by jumping the small terminal on the solenoid to the battery. Engine should crank normally when you do that, so be sure it is not in gear and the brake is set. Then reconnect the wire to small terminal and be sure it is connected securely.

There is a switch at the top of the clutch pedal that is supposed to be pressed when the pedal is all the way down. Often the problem there is that the rubber pad on the pedal arm has fallen apart and the switch doesn't get pressed. It is the same kind of rubber pad that the brake pedal has.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Check that the starter works while on the car by jumping the small terminal on the solenoid to the battery. Engine should crank normally when you do that, so be sure it is not in gear and the brake is set. Then reconnect the wire to small terminal and be sure it is connected securely.

There is a switch at the top of the clutch pedal that is supposed to be pressed when the pedal is all the way down. Often the problem there is that the rubber pad on the pedal arm has fallen apart and the switch doesn't get pressed. It is the same kind of rubber pad that the brake pedal has.
I placed my starter on a 98 after it wouldn't turn over. I could get the old one to turn over after tapping with a hammer, so figured that was the prob. Put new starter in, nothing. Pulled took back to store, had bench tested, good. Put back in, back to nothing again.

Any suggestions on where to proceed from here.

Yea, battery is good.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Did you test with a jumper wire like I suggested? A lot of starters are intermittent, and taking them on and off the car can make them work once or twice.

If your car doesn't crank with the jumper wire in place, the next test is to check for power at the starter with a voltmeter. With the jumper still in place to the small terminal, measure volts between the big terminal on the starter that goes to the battery, and ground on the frame of the starter. If you have 12 volts there and on the small terminal but the starter doesn't do anything, it must be a bad starter. If there's no power at the starter, check the battery connections and the ground wires and see where the voltage is being lost.