Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Civic LX back glass issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Default 1997 Civic LX back glass issue?

Hey folks,

I have a question for you that I did not see any answers to when I searched (I may just not have used the right key words, I'm old.) I have a 1997 Civic LX I was given (nasty divorce, lost everything, don't ask) and the back glass has a film on it that I am guessing at one time was in good enough shape yu culd see through it, now .... I don't know if I would say you can see through it! It was not a dark film like what traditional tinting is. I have seen many complain about it but most tell folks to live with it, my question is what can I do about it? How do I fix it? Can it just be removed and then can I go back and polish up the glass and if I choose to, retint it? Can I just remove it?

I was a heavy line tech rebuilding engines, manual transmissions and rear axles in GM dealerships for a bunch of years, always tired to avoid the inside of the car (except for doing HVAC retairs in the summer ) I tinted my own years back, so I would even give it a try on this car.

Car does have some other issues, needs an O2 sensor 1 position 1. Needs a regulator for the drivers side window and a gas cap. Got the parts coming from Rockauto (a buddy uses them with great success so I figured I would give them a shot.) Just curious about the back glass.

Thanks in advance.

Dave