Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic Computer problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Red face 1998 Civic Computer problem

Hi, I have a 98 civic dx with the 1.6L. Car has 200k miles and runs GREAT. However, recently the car will die with NO warning. The "Check Engine " light comes on and when I put an OBD scanner on the car it says "No Link". At this stage the car will crank but NOT start. If I remove the battery cable for about 3 minutes and then reattach it the car will start and run normally with NO check engine light. There's no pattern to when it dies.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Scott in KC, Ks

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SlimSunny
Hi, I have a 98 civic dx with the 1.6L. Car has 200k miles and runs GREAT. However, recently the car will die with NO warning. The "Check Engine " light comes on and when I put an OBD scanner on the car it says "No Link". At this stage the car will crank but NOT start. If I remove the battery cable for about 3 minutes and then reattach it the car will start and run normally with NO check engine light. There's no pattern to when it dies.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Scott in KC, Ks
All 96-00 Civics came with the 1.6L

So when the car dies and the CEL comes on, does it go away when you turn the key again (not starting the car). The CEL should come on for a few seconds and shut off signifying the fuel system is priming.

If you jiggle the key in any direction while the car is on, does it shut off? I had a buddy with a Prelude where his ignition switch or whatever was loose/broken and the car would shut off randomly if the key was moved. It took him forever to drive through a bumpy area. lol