Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 EX Loss of Power on Low RPMs, Good Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Exclamation 1998 EX Loss of Power on Low RPMs, Good Idle

Hi there, new to this forum, but I would not post this if I could find an answer to my problem anywhere.

I have searched a ton of forums, and non of the symptoms exactly like mine, and if they are the thread never had an answer. So my fellow new forumers!!! I am very thankful to have you here, and that you spent your time reading this. Hopefully I can get some help!!

I have 1998 Civic EX 1.6L, it has 290 kms on it. It ran good until one morning i sit in and try to drive to work, only realizing i lost power on my lower RPMs.

The car idles good, and has no CEL light, also I have changed a distributor thinking it will solve the problem. The throttle body was cleaned, and still same problem.

Especially on the hills, from stop it starts off very very very slow, and once i am up to 2500 -3000 RPMs it kicks in and drives as it did before. My mechanic telling me that it has high mileage and that my clutch might be starting to go, but I doubt that, as I drive M/T since I was a kid, basically he kept the car for about 2 weeks, after changing the distributor, and gave up on it, saying its dying slowly. The distributor did help just a bit.

Also the CAT he checked he said when i told him it might be plugged after reading the forums, He said it is good.

Please if anyone ever had something like that let me know if you fixed it.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sudden loss of performace is often because the timing belt skipped. Check timing carefully, if it is off replace the timing belt.

Also I'd check the throttle position sensor with a voltmeter. Bad sensors don't always set the CEL on.

Bad clutch of course the engine will rev up but the car doesn't go. Clearly not the case here. I suggest finding a different mechanic.