Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Civic D16Y7 Head Leaking oil / Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Mk, there's a lot of oil in the IM. If bad rings caused this much oil loss, wouldn't you expect to see a major reduction in cylinder compression?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM

bad news, everyone I talk to about the motor keeps telling me its the rings. so here I am waiting now to get a motor from japan. I will know more details here by the weekend. Roommate is getting it for me. should be just a straight replacement no upgrade. anyone have any hints on how to pull the motor out and drp a new one in it. reading threw the honda manual was kind of wondering how do I disconnect the motor from the tranny.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:51 PM

There are a bunch of bolts from the tranny side into the block. You can't miss them.

But I hear that it's sometimes a pain in the a$$ to separate the tranny from the engine.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:07 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jaysdogjazz
Ok Here is the long story 6 month ago, blew the head gasket and it was blowing coolant out of the radiator. Had the head resurfaced, valves resurfaced, all the good stuff.

While putting the head back together I forgot to put the valve seats / retainers prior to putting the valve seals on. So I did the dumb thing, and pulled them off and put them back on. I dont think it ever sealed just right.

Just the other day I was driving down the road and saw I was blowing smoke everytime I was accelerating. So thought I had a problem with the #1 piston where I installed those bad valve seals. tried the easy repair and swapped the valve seals.

Here is the bad part went from #1 burning oil to #2 and #3 also.
So I went ahead pulled head took a look inside and found had some oil in the intake manafold. Thought ah hold on maybe the oil is coming up from the pcv valve. Grabbed the pcv valve and it was clogged. went down to honda and picked up another one.

So here is where I am Right now. Head was all put back together with all honda parts from the dealer, valve seals and head gasket.
Trying to figure if I have a crack in the head or am i leaking threw the valve guide. I dought that I would be leaking threw the new valve guide seals.

I will post some pics in a little bit

Personally and this is just my opinion since you were that far into the engine. You should have just went ahead and replace the piston rings as well. Because if it is a piston rings you probably did all that work for nothing. You might be better off just buying I used engine from Japan with 50 60 thousand miles on it