Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1999 Honda Civic Ex Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Default 1999 Honda Civic Ex Engine Problem

Hello all, I'm having a problem with my Honda and was hoping y'all can help since my local Honda dealer doesn't want to help unless I tow my car there and pay for diagnosis. First off, here's my cars stats:

1999 Honda Civic Ex
1.6L 4 cylinder
D16Y7 Motor
Coupe
Automatic w/ Overdrive
All original equipment other than the air intake. Has a cold air intake installed.

Here's the background story:
Took out the engine and had the block and heads done at the machine shop.
Reassembled and cranked it and it started right up on first crank! (I'm not a mechanic btw so this was very exciting for me).
Ran for 4 hours on idle on the garage floor, no overheating and no fluid leaks (go me!).
Test drive around the block 4 times at <28 mph (man, this car wants to take off!)
Took back to garage, parked it, let it run for an hour, still no overheating or leaking!
2nd Test Drive, took it down the road to the highway, rode the access road up to 45 mph now, whining noise now, severe whirling noise and now engine shuts off!
Key hole broke from camshaft!
Bought new key hole pulley for camshaft, installed, cranked it, new one broke!
took cover off, took off lifter assembly thingy above the camshaft, there's a lil piece of metal in the camshaft! It must have gotten stuck and kept camshaft from turning. it's a little metal piece from the arms that ride the camshaft.. ={

went to local pick and pull and pulled a camshaft, pulley, and lifter assembly (is that whats it called? the assembly that goes above the camshaft..)
replaced the parts, reassembled everything, turned car on and it started first crank again! but wait....

now the rpms are low (first line above zero (whats that, like 200 rpm?)).
when i put it in reverse and pressed the gas, nothing, just rolled back from momentum/incline, put it in drive to put it back in the garage and pressed gas, nothing, 200 rpm, won't go anywhere, pressing gas pedal does nothing. i can rev it by moving the throttle manually under hood but pedal does nothing.

ok, kinda long, any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure that oil is flowing up through the head to lubricate the camshaft. If you used any sort of sealant on the head gasket (NOT recommended), you may have blocked the little oil hole. Oil should splash out if you take the oil cap off with the engine running.

The throttle cable must be broken. It's a simple mechanical connection from the gas pedal to the lever on the throttle body. You can test it with the engine off.

Last edited by mk378; 10-10-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM

The oil is flowing but I'll check the cable today. No sealant was used.