Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic EX Coupe will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Question 2000 Civic EX Coupe will not start

I changed the fuel filter, checked the main relay (got all the clicks required) even opened the relay to see if circuit board had a bad solders. Relay is fine, checked fuses. This may sound funny but when I changed the fuel filter, I blew thru the old filter to see if it was clogged, it seemed restrictive. I did the same with the new filter and it was much easier to blow air thru. If the old filter was clogging or restrictive to my fuel delivery, could the back pressure cause the fuel pump to foul? I am trying to trouble shoot everything to see why the car won’t start, starting at the least expensive parts. The fuel pump is $135.99 and I was just recently laid off, so every penny counts right now. Thank you for any help anyone may offer.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 AM
The Man

check for spark!
take out a spark plug wire put a screw driver in there, hold it to where the metal is really close to the valve cover, and have some one turn the key, and see if you have spark,

air fuel and spark

three things you need,
you checked the fuel,

check the spark now

Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 AM

I will do this test tomorrow, it’s time for sleep. Thanks chrismag. I will post results promptly.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Wow, now a whole new issue! No spark!
I removed the distributor cap and rotor; the points in the cap look a bit grooved, and the point on the rotor has carbon built up on it as well as signs of arcing. The cap and rotor is from late 08 or early 09 not exactly sure, could this be the issue (hopefully)? How often should a cap and rotor be changed?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the cam rotate when you crank? Stripped timing belt... cam doesn't rotate, distributor doesn't rotate, no spark.

If distributor does rotate, leave cap off, try to draw sparks from coil output spring to a grounded test wire. Weak yellow sparks = blown coil.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Cam turns, rotor turns, and blue/purple arc from coil spring. Also ignition fues is good. What should I test next?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 PM
The Man

dude you confusing me now,
you first said it didnt have spark. then you said now it has spark?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Checked Coil again, good arc. Messed with the old plug wires, adjusted ends of wires to get a better grip in cap, and on plugs. Also chartered battery. Found out wife had been sitting in car listening to stereo with engine "NOT" running; there's a sub and amp in trunk. I think my issue/s were: clogged fuel filter, wornout cap/rotor, and low charge in battery. Still need to replace spark wires, any suggestions? Not a racer, it's a daily driver so no hot MSD with external coil pack, just a good cable with good insulation. Car is running great, very smooth. Thank you to: chrismag and mk378 for your help and input, it's amazing what can be accomplished with some guidance.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Sorry chrismag, I didn't get a spark from the plug wire, I did get a spark from the coil spring. After replacing cap/rotor, messing with plug wires, and charging battery, I got an arc from the screwdriver in plug wire to valve cove. Once I saw the arc I knew things were good, and they are. Thank you for you assistance.