Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 civic ex loses all power/shuts down while driving! Help!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Default 2000 civic ex loses all power/shuts down while driving! Help!

My car is a 2000 civic ex - automatic. 2 weeks ago my car completely shut down while driving about 25mph. Lost power steering, brakes became very stiff. I coasted to a stop in a parking lot nearby. I was immediately able to start my car up after stopping. Any suggestions/help as to what this could be? There was corrosion around the battery terminal which I cleaned off. The same exact thing happened 2 more times about a week later. What is going on?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

This is often the ignition switch itself-- the main switch behind the key that turns the whole car on and off. Your car may be one of the ones that was recalled for it. While parked, try starting the engine then jiggle the key slightly (do not turn it off), it should not stop.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

Could be the main fuel pump relay which is located in a module mounted above brake pedal on bottom side of dash board. Open the module up and look for bad solder connections. Specifically large solder mass connections that did not get hot enough in the solder wave machine.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Default shut off again today!

Originally Posted by mk378
This is often the ignition switch itself-- the main switch behind the key that turns the whole car on and off. Your car may be one of the ones that was recalled for it. While parked, try starting the engine then jiggle the key slightly (do not turn it off), it should not stop.
Hi thanks for the reply! I tried what you said and I jiggled the key a few times and it didn't shut off. There was a good amount of corrosion on the battery terminal so I cleaned that off. It acted normal for about a month until today when it randomly shut off while driving! I'm lucky this hasn't caused an accident. There was no corrosion this time on battery. What else could it be? Then it took 3x to get my car to restart.
Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM
Default Vin number looked up. Not under recall list

Originally Posted by mk378
Also, honda said my vin number wasn't under the recall list.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by atmg68
My car is a 2000 civic ex - automatic. 2 weeks ago my car completely shut down while driving about 25mph. Lost power steering, brakes became very stiff. I coasted to a stop in a parking lot nearby. I was immediately able to start my car up after stopping. Any suggestions/help as to what this could be? There was corrosion around the battery terminal which I cleaned off. The same exact thing happened 2 more times about a week later. What is going on?
replace the ignition control module and you'll be fine