Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 DX cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Default 2000 DX cooling issue

First off, let me say this is a great forum, one I have used frequently to troubleshoot minor issues I have had with my civic, with fantastic results...so thanks everyone!

Quick background on the car, and issue at hand...

2000 Civic DX, close to 200,000 miles on the car, no major issues (awesome car!). Car is essentially a beater, used mainly now for weekend paper route delivery, and commuting to the bus stop M-F for my main 9-5 job. Not planning on sticking a lot of money into the car, if something major comes up, will likely let it go and replace it with something newer and nicer.

Recently during paper route delivery, the car began to run hot...and would only cool down once I was moving. If I had to stop too long, the needle would move north, beyond the mid point on the gauge. The cooling fan kicks on, but not every time. I had a similar problem a few months back, turned out the temperature switch was bad...replaced it, burped the system, and all was well.

Today after delivering the papers, with the car cooled down, I did a quick check. Coolant level is correct, overflow can is at correct level, no water/anti freeze in the oil. Next I Jacked the front of the car up, removed the radiator cap, started the car and let it run for 30 minutes. Car did not run hot, fan never kicked on, coolant can be seen circulating in the radiator, both hoses are warm. This tells me the thermostat, water pump, radiator are all doing their job, and I shouldn't have any gasket leaks and am not burning coolant.

So I am stumped, what else could I check, what could cause the car to run hot when driving, but not idling in my driveway for 30 minutes? Could the new temperature switch be bad already (not a Honda part btw)? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!