Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I need to replace manual window crank handle and shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Default I need to replace manual window crank handle and shaft

I have a '96 Civic DX Hatchback with manual windows. Early last year my driver's side window crank became very difficult to turn and finally the handle just broke off leaving just the shaft. For the past year I've been using pliers to turn shaft and now it is completely stripped and mangled. Originally I was going to replace just the handle but now it looks like I will have to replace the whole handle "assembly" including the shaft. The online car parts stores only seem to sell the handle itself and the window regulator, neither of which includes the crank handle shaft. Am I going to have to a whole new door or is there another way? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that part was included in the whole regulator assembly.

Here's a diagram. Honda Automotive Parts

Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by pjcarr
I have a '96 Civic DX Hatchback with manual windows. Early last year my driver's side window crank became very difficult to turn and finally the handle just broke off leaving just the shaft. For the past year I've been using pliers to turn shaft and now it is completely stripped and mangled. Originally I was going to replace just the handle but now it looks like I will have to replace the whole handle "assembly" including the shaft. The online car parts stores only seem to sell the handle itself and the window regulator, neither of which includes the crank handle shaft. Am I going to have to a whole new door or is there another way? Thanks!
you can get a new manual window regulator for like 40$ or less at a junk yard, ive replaced several of them and i also have never bought anything other than an entire new assembly. It is very easy to put in, last time the part place installed for free for me. Im sure you can find a DIY so i wont bother explaining, but you will only need a couple socket sizes and some grease, and maybe 30min to an hour.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The regulator does not come apart. Replace the whole thing if the shaft is bad. The regulator is probably bad anyway, that was why the window was hard to move.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was planning on replacing the whole regulator but I didn't realize the shaft came with it. I thought it was connected to the door itself somehow. So that's great that I don't have to buy a whole new door!

I also need to replace both side view mirrors (housing and glass) and the driver's side headlight lens. Are those easy jobs?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Side view mirrors are removed by prying off the triangular trim piece and unscrewing the bolts from inside the car. I don't know about the headlights, on some models the bumper needs to be removed first to reach the bolts that hold the headlight assembly on.