Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic Trans. Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Default 2001 Civic Trans. Problems

I have a problem with my transmission and was wondering if any other Civic owners had the same problem and what the solution was. Today I was driving back to work (I live in Germany and traffic is no joke here), when exiting the freeway, I stopped at a red light, when the light turned green, my car would not move, at all in any gear, park worked though, all it would do was rev, trans was not engaging. The Germans around me were pretty pissed, but there was nothing I could do, I was in a middle lane and confined to my car. My passenger suggested I turn the car off, I did, turned back on, transmission engaged, but I had to stop a couple more times before getting to my job. Of course the check engine light came on. I parked it where I work, too dangerous to drive back to my house. On the internet, I found that this is a common problem for 01 Civics. No pre-warnings, the trans just goes out one day while your driving. Any suggestions? It is, of course, twice as expensive to get a US Spec Honda fixed in a foregin country. Hopefully don't have to replace or rebuild the transmission.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM

What was the CEL code?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 AM

No we don't have any codes, was not able to get it to the dealership, luckily though, where I parked it is only about 10 minutes from the dealership, but have to tow it there and in Germany everything closes early on Saturdays and completely closed on Sundays, so have to wait until Monday.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

Does it slip when shifting in gears or changes gears real hard from what you are saying it sounds like it has more to do with your shift solenoids not working correctly and getting hung up in Neutral and once the car is turned off and restarted it corrects itself momentarily

Old 04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Default Any News?

The exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Some history on my trans...

Ran Dexron for about a year not knowing that it requires Z1. Say what you want I know it was a really stupid mistake.. 2nd-3rd shift started to "slip" and rpm's would raise 1000-2000 RPM depending how heavy I was into the throttle.

About 6 months ago I flushed the trans with Z1 3 times in one day and I have flushed it every 2 months since.

I put quotes around slip because it would only slip once or twice when cold and not again for the rest of the day. Once it was hot it wouldn't slip on any clutch pack.

If there has been no fix found for this I am about to tear into the trans myself after Easter Weekend. I will try my best to take as many pictures as possible and a complete step by step of how I fixed it.

In the meantime if anyone can redirect me to a further detailed post about this it would be greatly appreciated as I am desperate. Thanks.