Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic Porous Engine Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Default 2001 Civic Porous Engine Block

Hey everyone, first post, just want to say hello and thanks y'all for being here,

On to the issue,

So I have a 2001 Civic LX with the non-VTEC 1.7L engine with 190K on it and about 3 months ago it started burning oil, I'm up to about 2 quarts a week now. There is a large cloud of smoke when I start it up after it sits for like 6 to 8 hours. There is no coolant in the oil so I don't believe its the head gasket. I replaced the valve stem gaskets and that didn't really help. Also once the engine heats up the oil pressure gets low when it idles and will stall sometimes, luckily mines a standard so I can just start it up again or just pop the clutch.

What leads me to believe the engine is porous is that there is oil in the coolant but no coolant in the oil. The pressure from the internal combustion is greater than the coolant pressure so while running oil is being pushing out into the water jacket however when the engine is off the coolant obviously isnt under any pressure so it wont enter the cylinders.

Anyone know a fix or mend for this other than replacing the engine or have any thoughts on what it could also be?

Thanks,

Craig

Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

have you actually tested for a bad head gaskit or are you going by sight ?? my guess would be bad oil rings hence the smoke. try using a heavier weight oil be that as it may a band aid in the sceam of things but it might drastically reduce your oil consumption for the time being. side note white smoke usually indicates a bad head gaskit and blue smoke usually indicates bad oil rings.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 10-21-2015 at 06:03 PM.