Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic Check Engine Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Default 2001 Honda Civic Check Engine Light Issue

Hi, I have a 2001 Honda Civic automatic and I recently had an issue with the Check Engine light coming on.

I took it to a Partsource to get an OBD scan and the computer came back with a 0740 code, which I believe means Torque Converter Clutch circuit.

I didn't notice a difference in the car's performance so I looked it up and read that a change in transmission fluid might solve the issue.

Before I could do that somebody else in the house drove the car and forgot to turn off the headlights which drained the battery. CAA (similar to AAA) came and gave the car a boost but said that once the car is turned off it won't start again because the battery needs to be recharged or something like that.

Well the car did start (numerous times) and now the Check Engine light isn't on anymore. I took it back to Partsource to get another scan and no issues show up on the computer.

Does this mean that the issue is resolved? What should I do? Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by asdf
Hi, I have a 2001 Honda Civic automatic and I recently had an issue with the Check Engine light coming on.

I took it to a Partsource to get an OBD scan and the computer came back with a 0740 code, which I believe means Torque Converter Clutch circuit.

I didn't notice a difference in the car's performance so I looked it up and read that a change in transmission fluid might solve the issue.

Before I could do that somebody else in the house drove the car and forgot to turn off the headlights which drained the battery. CAA (similar to AAA) came and gave the car a boost but said that once the car is turned off it won't start again because the battery needs to be recharged or something like that.

Well the car did start (numerous times) and now the Check Engine light isn't on anymore. I took it back to Partsource to get another scan and no issues show up on the computer.

Does this mean that the issue is resolved? What should I do? Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.
Don't worry any more about the transmission unless the same CEL code returns.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick response.

So what could be the reason that the light came on in the first place?

Also, what about the battery? The AAA guy printed out a test report that says to charge it for 6 hours at 6A. But then again he said the car wouldn't start again, so I'm not sure.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 AM
HCF Member

the light comes on if a sensor detects something abnormal. but the usual rule of thumb here is unless it keeps repeatedly coming back on, it is probably just a blip in the system.

Regarding your battery, it is best to take it out and go to Partsource, if they are an autoparts store (I'm not familiar with Canadian store names) and have them recharge it fully and then to get it tested. if this is your original battery, then you might have a dying battery (i.e. unable to hold a charge).