Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Honda Civic LX Instrument Cluster Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Default 2001 Honda Civic LX Instrument Cluster Problem

Hi, i am having a very annoying problems with my 2001 Honda Civic LX, hahaha
This problems started 1 year ago, I was driving and the Instrument Cluster just completely stopped working, all gauges fall. After about 20 minutes of turning my car on and off they started working again and I didn't think anything of it. Well over the past year it started recurring and its to the point where every other time I start my car, its not working.
Its totally random to, I can just be driving along and it suddenly stops or starts working.

One thing I have noticed is, when it's not working and I open my door while the car is on. I get the beeping sound for the warning that my keys are still in the ignition. As if my car was turned off and the keys were still in the ignition.
It's almost like the computer in my car is thinking the car is turned off while it is running, there for the instrument cluster does not turn on.

Please if you have any thoughts about this, I could use the help.
This is driving me insane, hahaha.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

could be a bad ground or connection remove it and look for anomalies. not many people know that you can perform a cluster self diognotstic test. follow this procedure ► DIY: Gauge Assembly Self-diagnostic Function - Honda-Tech it should look like this