Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic LX, Throttle Position Sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Default 2003 Civic LX, Throttle Position Sensor code

Hi all!

A month ago, my check engine light (CEL) came on after a 100 mile run. The light remained on for another 65 miles. I figured it was just the gas cap, so i tightened it and within minuteds the light went off.

I drove another hundred miles last night and this morning when I turned on my car, the CEL went on again. As before I tightened the gas cap but it didn't help. So I took it down to Autozone and got the codes read. the code came to be P0122 (Throttle position sensor - low voltage). The mechanic said I'll be fine, and he ckeared the code. Drove back home and no code yet, but I am compelled to think that this CEL is linked with the last CEL because both times the CEL came on after driving long distances.

Anyway, if the code comes back on, how can I fix it? also, If I continue to drive with the CEL on, will it affect my car's operations, or leave any permanent damage, or leave me stranded?

Thanks and regards

Aree

Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Default RE: 2003 Civic LX, Throttle Position Sensor code

According to FSM.....

Probable causes:
-Open or short in TP Sensor circuit
-TP Sensor
-ECM/PCM
-TCM (Auto)

Old 05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

if the check engine light comes on agian get it scanned first , if its the same code that comes back, unplug the wire connector on the tps & check the wiring with a volt meter . 1 wire should have 12v, another one should have no power(ground wire), the other one should have 5v , if they check ok then replace the tps & then clear the computer

Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I just have one question... is there a way to buy the TPS withit buying the whole throttle body? (I am under the impression that the TPS is bolted onto the body and cannot be replaced.)

Also how much would it cost me? Both the TPS and/or the throttle body w/ TPS.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

You CAN take the tps sensor off of the throttle body and swap it, however it's hard to find someone selling just the tps. I have an extra one I can send you for cheap if you're interested, just be sure that the 99-00 ones will work with your motor. They should, I'm almost positive they're all the same for the most part, even between b, h, d series...

ANywho, if you pull the TB off and look at the tps, you'll notice it looks like its riveted on. Those are actually headless screws (freaking honda...) that you can twist out, you just need to make a groove in them. I used a Hacksaw on mine, but a dremel would probably be easier. Cut the groove in, then use a fat screwdriver to twist them out. Then run to the hardware store and get some real screws to hold your new TPS in place