Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2005 Civic Ex Rough Idle at stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Default 2005 Civic Ex Rough Idle at stops

I understand that there is a post on rough idles already so dont beat me up about this. Sorry. Here is my issue.

While at lights car starts to chug like its going to stall. It has never stalled and this does not happen every time at every light. For instance I drove it earlier and it did this, then I drove it again 20 minutes of it being parked and it did not do this.

Also, the rough idle will stop if I turn on the recirculation button and turn the circulation up in the car. I didnt try it with heat or air conditioning. It will go down to a normal idle if I turn on that button for some reason.

I last year had timing belt done, also several gaskets and an clogged pcv valvle that blew out a gasket as well. I had all the plugs done at that time too.

At times I will see water or condensation in the driveway after driving it. it evaporates and doesnt leave a mark in driveway.

Please ask me anything, I am hoping I can repair this myself as I just sunk a bunch in on fixing broken calipers, sway bars, etc and a few things that had the engine light on.

Any help would be great.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

your link doesn't work but if i was you i would start by removing the IACV and clean it to see if that helps since thats free to DIY. DIY: forgotten tune-up mods - Honda Civic Forum also did they clean the second pcv by the oil filter ???

Old 03-21-2015, 03:40 PM

not sure if they cleaned or not, I just know it was replaced and that was done last March.. a year ago. Just started having the rough idle recently.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:41 PM

what is odd and perhaps it makes perfect sense is how the idle is great if I have the recirculation button on and flow at full blast?

Old 03-21-2015, 03:50 PM
HCF Member

not sure but the pcv's on these cars are metal and don't need to be replaced only cleaned.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:42 AM
Default I think

When you turn on air or the air cond system ( Recirc ) the computer ups the idle a little to compensate for the clutch on the ac compressor. Some cars will also turn on the rad fan as a precaution.

If all the tune up stuff is good, possible you might be getting a weak cylinder, or possibly an induction leak.

Steve

Originally Posted by ekegelmann
what is odd and perhaps it makes perfect sense is how the idle is great if I have the recirculation button on and flow at full blast?