Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 HCH battery drains 2-3 times a day, resulting low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Default 2007 HCH battery drains 2-3 times a day, resulting low MPG

Hey everybody! First ACTUAL post (not counting my introduction post), and I'm hoping there are some knowledgeable folks that can help me out?

As the subject states, I drive a 2007 Civic Hybrid and have been experiencing a daily recurring issue. When I first start the engine in the morning, within 5 minutes the hybrid battery drains completely and has to be recharged by driving around. Sometimes I'm lucky and it only happens once per day, but depending on how often I drive that day, it can happen 2-3 times a day. This is putting a lot of stress on the engine, and as a result, my average MPG has slipped from the high 30's to the low 20's.

I currently have about 58K miles and just recently replaced the starter battery, but this had been occurring way before that. Considering MPG was the number 1 reason I went hybrid, I'd love some insight into how this can be rectified! Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Update: Honda has informed me that my IMA needs a software update, so I made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to let everyone know later down the road if this fixes the problem or not.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Your IMA battery is dying. Fortunately, your IMA warranty has been extended to 92K miles (8 years?) as a result of a class action. Software update that you were told will do nothing to reverse the battery condition. I even believe that it will delay the onset of the IMA warning light which indicates a failed battery pack. The delay of the onset may cause many customers to miss the warranty window.

If your car reaches the limit of IMA warranty and still no IMA warning, I strongly suggest that you call Honda, describe the rapid charge and discharge condition, and demand a no-cost diagnosis of the battery, which normally cost $95 or more. If you let the warranty window expire, you may end up paying $2800 for the replacement.

Your battery is definitely dying and don't take it lightly and don't believe anything otherwise from the dealers and Honda.