Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Civic LX Frontal Knocking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Default 2008 Civic LX Frontal Knocking Sound

Everything on it seems to be running fine, just having an annoying issue when driving at highway speeds. When I reach up to 45/50mph (80kph) I start to get an annoying rhythmic (metallic bumper like) knocking (~400-500 BPM/Tempo @ 4/4) near the front right wheel, then when I go even faster I start to hear ticking in the front left wheel (might be a loose rock i donno, it isnt as big of a deal). I recently went to get a tire alignment done and the mechanic shop said everything looked fine under the wheel as I mentioned the knocking sound. After that I went out again and it continued to make the sound. Mechanic mentioned theres a bit of rust in the area but he told me to keep driving it and tell him in a few days. He says it could mostly just be something rattling. 3 weeks have went by and it still does it.

It seems to be louder when its windier, bumpy roads, etc.
Was also told it could be "loose stuff like splash shields or fender liner or bumper cover flapping in the wind". The mechanic put 10 clips on the bumper but it still rattles so.

The knocking sound doesnt seem to speed up too much if I speed up, it just seems to get more violent, but not too crazy.

It's not the wheel bearing (doesnt make a hum noise) and its not a CV joint (as its not when turning). I read it could be control arm bushings, and warped rotors. But also heard tie rods, shock mounts, ball joints, sway bar links, etc. I have no idea what to do about it.

Ive attached a video, towards the end you can really hear it. Im going around 90kph (55mph) in this video and the sound is coming from the wheel-ish area.

But who knows, maybe it doesn't have to do with the wheel area, does this sound ring a bell to anyone?

Any help would be AMAZINGLY appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by pizzahutcombo; 08-17-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

ive never heard anything like that before maybe get up under the car and see if maybe you picked up some road debris ???