Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2009 civic : feels like I'm going to spin out my car on left handed turns!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 AM
Cool 2009 civic : feels like I'm going to spin out my car on left handed turns!!

Hi there, (I apologize for the lack of car tech terms....I don't know too much about cars at all). I just purchased a 2009 civic last week with FWD (I believe) and perhaps I'm just not used to it. (Used to drive a E320 benz sedan AWD that felt much more stable). I know that this is a much lighter and smaller car, so it will handle differently.

Background: I am driving from Mississauga to Niagara falls every day and even when I take it slow on even wide turns even, (slow being about 80 on a hwy), I feel like I'm inches away from losing control of the car!!! It feels like unless I drastically slow down to almost 60-70 km, I'm going to spin out the car! Turning right feels a little more controlled, but making even a wide slow turn feels downright scary...and a huge problem given that I'm doing so much hwy driving! Has anyone ever experienced this before? Am I just over reacting? I really don't feel like the car will stay on course unless I slow down to unreasonable hwy speeds! (it's manual and I have been driving accident free for over 14 years).

Thank you so much for any help/advice at all!

Cheers,
Mags

Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

going from 4 wheel drive merc to a front wheel drive civic of course its not going to handle as good its a eco box all the suspension components are made to be affordable to you the consumer to keep cost down. but with that being said civics do handle very well for what they have im guessing the tires that are on the car are cheap,worn or aren't inflated properly or all of the above. the car could also be out of alignment what model civic do you have some models are not equipped with front and rear sway bars which would drastically reduce handling.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 AM
Thumbs up Thank you so much!

Hello!

After some mumbling about this to my boyfriend last nigt, he took it out for a spin....and to my relief it didn't spin at all! He says it actually handles beautifully, so perhaps I am just going nuts or just still getting used to a new car.

Thank you for the reassuring reply, the tires look great though, not worn in and when i let the wheel go it doesn't pull either way, so alignment may be ok as well. (This was my super technical test of course) haha!

Well, thank you BOTH for the test drive and reply, I feel a lot more confident now to make a decent turn (over 40) hahah

Wow this forum is great! good luck to everyone out there with their hondas! I do love to gas efficiency and it's a cute little bugger!

Oh, and sorry to answer your question, its a 2009 civic DX!
Thanks again :

Old 06-26-2014, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

the DX and VP models do not usually come with front or rear sway bars so thats going to effect handling quite drastically. you can buy aftermarket bars that can be installed fairly easily. the tire brand and model has more to do with handling then the state of the tire. if your using some off brand chinese tire the handling will suffer. whenever i get new tires i go to a secluded empty parking lot and find out just how far the tires can be pushed before they let go also braking test.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

If you have a high mileage car, your shocks could be worn. Of course, if you go to a place that sells and installs shocks they will almost always need replacing if you are a girl.
My wife, who is a girl, listens to "experts" then tells me what needs to be done to her car. Some of this advice is true and some is completely from outer space. Check with your girlfriends for shop advice then take your boyfriend with you. But if your non-Benz driving BF says it handles well, it probably does. I like taking curves in my Porsche 944 better than my '91 Civic.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 AM
Default Thank you so much!

Thank you for both replies!
I will look into the sway bars the time I take er' in! It's only got 40,000 km so the shocks should be alright I'm guessing, but I will also get these looked at next time I'm in!

Thank you so much to both answers and wish you all the best!
(ahhahahah I would like my Porsche better on turn
s then a civis too.....if I had one lol) One day.....sigh lol

Old 07-14-2014, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

yeah but if you had a porsche you wouldn't be able to drive it because it would be in the shop.