Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
HCF Member
Default 6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA

I've read multiple threads on this topic but still have some confusion. Maybe reading so much has lead to confusion.

I drive a '96 Civic DX and my son drives a '98 Civic LX. Both have the D16Y7 engine with the one piece exhaust manifold & catalytic converter. Both exhaust manifolds are cracked.

Regarding California:
Assuming all the work is done properly, is a full DX/LX exhaust system conversion to EX legal in California? If not technically legal, do smog stations let the visual inspection slide?

Regarding welding as a solution:
A muffler shop that my son has gone to in the past has an excellent reputation. The shop is owned and operated by one man with over 30 yrs experience. He claims that he has had good success welding cracked manifolds compared to other shops. The shop is near my son but 400 mi from me. Is this solution worth a try or doomed to failure?

Regarding replacement as a solution:
Anyone have long term success with a CA legal aftermarket part? If so which specific one?

Thanks and sorry for laying out a dead horse.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

Anyone have experience or an opinion on the following CARB legal, direct fit manifold/converter units? Which are likely to last a long time and not throw random codes?

My impression (only from the photos) is that the Magnaflow and Bosal header sections look like they are not likely to crack. They may have other problems I am not aware of. The Catco and Dorman headers look like a design similar to Honda's original. (Click to slightly enlarge)

Magnaflow 56029
6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA-magnaflow-56029.jpg

Bosal 0899100
6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA-bosal-0899100-.jpg 6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA-bosal-0899100-b.jpg

Catco 612340
6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA-catco-612340.jpg

Dorman 673439
6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA-dorman-673439.jpg

Honda 18160-P2E-A12
(you know what this looks like)

Old 07-20-2012, 05:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Magnaflow is usually OK quality.

I'm pretty sure an EX conversion is legal, of course you must use only stock or CARB-approved parts.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Thanks for your feedback. That's the one I'm leaning toward.

I'm pretty sure an EX conversion is legal, of course you must use only stock or CARB-approved parts.
On further (but not final) research, my reading of the "new" 2009 CARB laws are that the EX conversion would not be legal in CA (see below). That said, I contacted CARB to ask them. I will post the answer if I get one.

Installers may not install a new aftermarket catalytic converter in a vehicle unless all of the following conditions are met:

(A) The vehicle is specifically included in the vehicle application list for which the new aftermarket catalytic converter has been exempted;

. . .

(E) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed in the same location as the OEM catalytic converter it is designed to replace. The front face of the installed catalytic converter shall be no more than three inches further upstream or downstream in the exhaust from where the front face of the OEM catalytic converter was located. The installation may not alter the location, position, or orientation of oxygen sensors upstream and downstream of the catalytic converter(s);

Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM

Even I think so that both the Magnaflow and Bosal header part looks as if it will not crack easily. I agree to the point what Ski - T says and it's just the assumption made. Further I would like to go for the details. Please do mention in details.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
For some cars, such as my '96 Civic DX and '98 Civic LX, Magnaflow makes 3 different grades of catalytic converters, a standard grade, an OEM grade, and a CARB grade.

From their web site:
OEM Grade converters are specially formulated with a heavier wash coat and loaded with twice the amount of precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) to provide a much stronger coverage.

OEM Grade is recommended for vehicles that have:

• High Mileage
• History of Check Engine Lights
• Gross Polluters
• California Emissions Equipment Outside of California
I asked Magnaflow if the CARB grade was as good as the OEM grade. Basically they said that it is the same converter, but has obtained CARB approval and has the proper CARB identification stamping.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

I decided to install a CARB legal Magnaflow 56029. I haven't received it yet, but it is supposed to come with the upper and lower gaskets. When I remove the old manifold/cat are there small rusted or damaged parts that I am likely to need to replace? For example, the nine nuts (#12) shown in the figure below? How about the three bolts (#5)? Are there nuts that go with those bolts? How about #1, #11, #14 and #15? Thanks.

6th gen exhaust manifold cracked in CA-exmani-catconv.jpg

To finish a previous post in this thread, I never heard back from CA Air Resources Board about the legality of installing an EX cat in an LX or DX. However, after reading their web site more thoroughly, I'm pretty sure it is not legal. That said, the smog check station I talked to said it was unlikely that anyone would notice unless the exhaust was loud or attracted visual attention.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You're almost certainly going to need new studs at 5 and nuts. There is also a gasket there where the converter attaches to the first pipe. The ones at the top (12) where it attaches to the engine may be reusable. All those parts should be available at any local parts store.