Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 Civic DX fuel injector help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Default 91 Civic DX fuel injector help!

Hey all, I have a 91 Civic DX 1.5L. It died on the road on me the other day. The LED on the ECU flashes 16 times, which the Chilton manual says is fuel injector. It will start(sometimes), idle, and have good throttle response in Park, but when I start to drive it dies. My problem is how do I determine which injector is bad(it has dual point)? Also, is there a difference between the two injectors? the upper is brown and the lower is green, but without removing them I see no difference. One other thing- as it sits and idles, I can smell an odor- fuel like, but kinda nasty exhaust smell also. Any help would be much appreciated. I wanted to get the thing down to Shuck's and use their code reader to confirm the LED code, but it will never make that trip as is.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Chubby Chaser

for dual point one fuel injector is for idle. and the other is for throttle. as for the bad smell does it smell anything like a rotten egg? when is the last time you changed the fuel filter? how about gettin the injectors cleaned?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Hey Hatchback, thanks for the reply. It doesn't smell like a rotten egg, I replaced the fuel filter about two months ago, and I've had it for fourteen months and haven't had the injectors cleaned. The reason I replaced the fuel filter was that one day it died on me in city traffic, then started after about 5 minutes of sitting. There were maybe 3 other times when I was at highway speed, felt it bog and lose power(but only for a couple of seconds), and then pick right back up and run fine. So which injector is the throttle? It idles fine, but putting throttle to it is when it bogs down and dies pretty abruptly. Thanks for any help !

Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Chubby Chaser

well im trying to decide if your cat. is bad which a sign is a nasty exhaust smell.
but i believe the green injector is the throttle one. you can pull them both off just to check and clean. plug 1 up at a time and get a cup and point the injector into the cup and have someone bump the engine and you can tell if it sprays good. but also check your spark make sure plugs are gapped right and the inside of your distributor cap looks good(no cracks or residue build up)

Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Removed and cleaned injectors, made sure spark plugs, distributor, and air filter were all good. Can't make injectors squirt of course, because the fuel comes in the throttle body, not into injector directly. Fired it up, ran great. Drove for about 150 miles, some city but mostly highway driving(and had put some high grade injector cleaner into gas tank before driving). Then just as I was getting back home it died again and now the ECU is giving me the injector code again(it had cleared after I had injectors out). I'm thinking that maybe I have some crap ion the fuel tank that is overwhelming the filter and dirtying the injectors. The fuel filter is only two mos. old. Going to try removing fuel line going to fuel filter from fuel tank and see how the gas looks, and also from fuel filter to throttle body. If I don't have contamination there I'm at a loss as to what it could be other than the injectors are shot. Any comments? Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Chubby Chaser

take the fuel filter off and tap it upside down on something and see if any brown stuff comes out.fill it up with a little gas if needed then tap it.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Checked the filter, it didn't have any junk in it. Ran fuel pump and pumped gas from tank and into a jar, it looked fine. Removed injectors again, they looked pretty clean. Put new fuel filter in, cleared ECU memory, reinstalled injectors, and tried to fire it up. It wouldn't fire. Checked plugs, they had fuel on them, so I knew I was getting gas. Put new plugs in, still wouldn't fire. I'm thinking the injectors are shot and am thinking about getting them rebuilt or replaced, depending on cost. Comments?

Old 08-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Default Fuel injectors

did you try measuring the resistance of the fuel injectors?

Originally Posted by brian91civic
Checked the filter, it didn't have any junk in it. Ran fuel pump and pumped gas from tank and into a jar, it looked fine. Removed injectors again, they looked pretty clean. Put new fuel filter in, cleared ECU memory, reinstalled injectors, and tried to fire it up. It wouldn't fire. Checked plugs, they had fuel on them, so I knew I was getting gas. Put new plugs in, still wouldn't fire. I'm thinking the injectors are shot and am thinking about getting them rebuilt or replaced, depending on cost. Comments?

Old 08-02-2020, 02:48 AM
HCF Member

👍11 year thread revival
i think thats a new record in my forum searching

Old 08-02-2020, 05:14 AM

Ha. I didn’t notice that this thread was from awhile back.

i am in the process of tinkering with a 1990 Honda Civic DX. It is starting but stopping immediately. I am using a Haynes repair manual. My Civic has dual point injectors. So far the main injectors resistance is too high.

that’s why I would suggest measuring the ohms. If that’s new to you, there are great videos on YouTube that teach about this stuff.