Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 Civic DX- Possible Blown HG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Default 91 Civic DX- Possible Blown HG?

So this year when I got my tax refund, I decided to get all those things done I've managed to avoid in the three years I've owned this car. It has just at 144K on the motor and after buying it, all I've done is change oil.

This is what I did:

New distributor (old was was "chirping pretty bad)

New timing belt and water pump (Have no idea when last changed)

New valve cover gasket

New muffler (Old one had a hole big enough to put a shoe box in it)

All the above was done at a very reliable shop.

So when I drove away from the shop, first thing I noticed was "white smoke" from the exhaust. I guess since the muffler had such a huge hole, I never saw this smoke before. Car has never over heated since I've had it, though I would top off the coolant on a regular basis. I just thought maybe I had a leak water pump.

When I popped in the spark plugs, they looked great with the exception of being very wet with oil for 3 out of 4 of them. Metal contact in boot was highly carbon filled on 1 plug. I did not see the tell-tale signs of forth, foam, or discoloration on the plugs, oil cap or dip stick. I did change the oil right after I took it to the shop. I "might" have smelled that sweet odor on the plugs, cannot say for sure.

Exhaust does not ALWAYS blow white smoke. I have seen a trickle of water exit the exhaust pipe a time or two (since it was fixed) No loss of coolant, no overheating. I took a red felt pen and marked the level on the coolant reservoir at the cold mark. I will monitor this over the newt several days to see if there is a noticeable loss of coolant. there was a substantial vale cover gasket leak which I think has disappeared with the new gasket being placed.

I don't see any green coolant under the car when sitting. I am thinking that if it IS the HG, it was likely that way when I got the car which would account for having to periodically refill the radiator.

Everything else about this car is cherry. Amazing gas mileage, fantastic throttle response. Everything is stock. Runs like a scalded dog.

I DID overfill the engine oil to 5 quarts ( I also have a Toyota Camry and just wasn't thinking) I have not drive it hard or long since then. Changed filter thinking it would delete some of the overfill but it hasn't by much. This possibly could account for the plugs being pretty wet.

If it IS the HG, Imma be pissed because of the money I already spent.

Any thoughts? I had an auto parts guy say the only thing that would cause water to leak down the exhaust pipe was a blown HG.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Drain some of that oil out. It's only supposed to have 3.75 quarts, and too much is definitely bad. If it's not smoking, overheating, or losing coolant, head gasket would be OK.

Water (not antifreeze) in the exhaust pipe is normal. When gasoline burns it becomes CO2 and H2O. For a while before the system warms up the H2O condenses in the pipe and drips out.

Last edited by mk378; 02-11-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM

MK378

Thanks. I am going to drain some of the oil. I overfilled it when I added Marvel Mystery Oil. Since the filter is basically new, I may just drain fully and sock some good synthetic oil in .

I appreciate your reply, I've been stressing all day

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM
HCF Member

@MK 3.75 qts? I just filled mine to 4, is that going to be an issue? I had read somewhere online that it took 4 so that's what I put in..