Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 Civic EF Sedan - Tail Lights Won't Turn Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:33 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up 91 Civic EF Sedan - Tail Lights Won't Turn Off

Hello Fellow E-F'rs,

I just found out a few moments ago that my tail lights refuse to turn off. It's the strangest thing. My headlights work fine, they turn on and off with no problem. All the while, my tail lights were on. This is definitly a new problem and must have produced itself today as my lights were definitly not on last night.

There are a ton of other things wrong with this car that I will save for another post.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by barneyruckus; 03-07-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Thread Solved
Old 03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sure they're not the brake lights?

If the tail lights were stuck on the dash lights and the lights on the front corners of the car would also stay on; it's all the same circuit.

Unplug the switch on the brake pedal and see if they go out. If they do, check the pedal for the rubber pad that presses the switch when the brakes are not applied.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Are the brake lights actually stuck on? If so, check the switch at the top of the brake pedal.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Guys... I'll check that right now.

I did notice that both red lights on the tail light assembly are one... well one seems to be burned out and my top brake light is not working nor do the brake lights come on when I depress the brake.

I think you guys might be on to something.

I'll be right back with an answer... Stay tuned!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

HAZZAH!

That was it! I checked and the rubber plug was missing... tried to fashion a plug out of a button and some hot glue to hold me over till I can order a new one... that didn't work...

When I got out from under the dash... I found the old broken rubber plug... The flanges that helped it stay in there crumbled off. I stuck the plug back in... it still had enough rubber to touch the button and Presto! Lights are off! I hereby declair this problem solved... Thank you very very very much!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like you still need to change a few bulbs though.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Try replacing the bulbs can be culprit or maybe some grounding issue with the wiring, can be very confusing you might need a car electronic guy to check it.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 AM
HCF Member

....Jesus...this thread is 7 months old...I think his all lights were good 6 months ago..lol

Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

Thanks again HCF! Sorry about the "status" of this post. Thanks to mk378 and Ron J, this problem was solved months ago.

I don't know how to change the status to "solved", though...

So, just to confirm for anyone who didn't read above:

I checked the Brake Light Switch--located under the dash, above the brake pedal--and found that the plug that presses the switch was missing. I found the crumbled plug and stuck it back in the top of the brake pedal arm. It fixed the problem. After replacing it for a new plug, I haven't had a problem with it since then.

Thanks again guys... Now... how do I set this to "Resolved"?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Default 1991 Honda Civic EX Brakelights won't turn off

I've solved my issue with this, but wanted to post this for others.
First of all, thanks to all who had suggestions about this. It was that little plastic plug, which fell apart after 20 years of use.

After several days of trying to get this handled I called my local Honda dealer - believe it or not - and not only did they have it in stock for a couple of bucks, when I had trouble installing it one of the service guys popped it in for me at NO CHARGE! So, for a couple of bucks and a bit of time I'm all set.

Thanks again to all who posted about this.