Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Honda Civic DX 1.5 liter Turns Over But Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Default 92 Honda Civic DX 1.5 liter Turns Over But Wont Start?

Ive driven this car around quite a bit, every now and then it would quit running, i would sit for a few minutes and try to start it and it would fire right up. Over time this problem has gotten worse. The car turns over but will not start. I eventually took it to a mechanic. He said to replace the distributor. I went ahead and did it. It did not solve the problem. I brought the car back and he told me after testing something that he wasnt getting any signal from the computer, and said that hes not positive but it might be the computer. I went ahead and got a new one. and installed it. The problem Was still not fixed. To begin with before any of this started happening under the hood when I would turn the key to the II position I would hear clicking going on. Now that the car will no longer start I do not hear a clicking anymore. But after i replaced the computer just to find out it didnt change anything I read around online a bit and thought it might have been the main relay, because of the whole clicking thing, and replaced it. It still did not solve it. I checked to see if it was getting any spark, It is getting spark, I put a used spark plug into the wire and had someone turn the car over, and there is spark, when i hold the plug directly to a ground I see a orange spark, when I hold it about a half inch away from the ground I see a white spark with faint blue. The check engine light is stuck on, I have reset the computer many times and the light still remains on. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump screen, fuel filter, Plugs, wires, and now have a used map sensor on order, hoping that it might solve the problem, I also read something about the ignition switch, and that it is not very common but thinking it might be an option here too. I have A multimeter but have never really used one before. I would greatly appreciate any help i could get, thanks.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Hey rob my Honda is doing the same thing can u tell if u fixed yours and what was problem need help thanks chris

Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you done all the stuff the other guy tried? Basic major checks are:

- Check for spark.
- Check for CEL cycling on then off, main relay clicking, and fuel pump priming when you turn key on but don't crank.
- Put test jumper in and check for ECU codes.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:14 PM

I did all that doesn't start just cranks. When o got it drove it around for an hour turned off and won't start again could it be the ignite r

Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Can anybody help me can email me at mustang_alvarado@ yahoo.com