Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic rack or power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Arrow 94 civic rack or power steering issue

Hi gang. Names Toddand I have a question.
I did a search but didn't get an answer for this.
Bought my wife a 94 civic so she could get out of payments on her sportage.
Anywho, my buddy Jeff told me when I bought it from him the rack was bad, that's why he didn't have a belt on the p steering pump. So I went to a friends shop and installed a good used one out of his yard. Issue is...
Still no power steering.
I turned it back and forth and kept filling with fluid till it remained full. I had to drive it about ten miles to home and thougt that would get any leftover air out. It still isn't working
No leaks anywhere
Still full off fluid
One odd thing to me was..as I was turning the wheel and adding fluid, it kinda worked one time. Turned it clear to the right, and it turned ITSELF back to the left!?
So, ya think with the old rack leaking that maybe they burned the pump up before noticing? Or am I missing something here?
Thanks for you're help folks.
Todd

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah running with no fluid will ruin the pump. You should see fluid flowing through the reservoir when idling without turning the wheel; that doesn't completely prove the pump is good though.

Though if the wheel was doing haywire stuff I would suspect the rack.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM

It only did it once and it was still completely full of air. I'd only filled it once at that point.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 AM

By flowing, do you mean like when your thermostats opened up and your looking in your radiator?
If so, it's not. It's isn't moving at all from what I see.

Last edited by Breeder; 10-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Right, when no one is turning the wheel, the rack just lets fluid cycle around the loop freely. So you should see it going through the reservoir.

Another thing you could try is now that the pump is full, take off the belt and the output hose and turn the pump by hand to see if it pumps anything.

Be sure the fluid you're using is Honda brand or specifically labeled as suitable for Honda. Many third-party fluids are incompatible and will damage the seals.

Last edited by mk378; 10-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank ya. Now one last stupid question which is the output hose? The one from pump to res, or the one from rack to pump?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The hose from the pump to the rack, the one built for high pressure.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Ahh, roger that. Thx for babysitting! I'll letcha know what I find.
Thanks again!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Whelp, I took the line off, and my ( thinks he is a genius) buddy of mine said instead of taking off the belt, let's just bump the starter! Well, u can guess how that went! Sh$t flew out all over. So either it did that due to pressure, or the pump is good. The rack has no leaks under boots, and had very clean fluid in it when installing! Could it still be the pump? My car ( I just sold) was a 53 Chevy belair, so this newer stuff,...... I hate working on! Lol

Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Bump?..

Quick Reply: 94 civic rack or power steering issue