Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 civic vehicle speed sensor

Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Default 94 civic vehicle speed sensor

Usual VSS problem speedo is very erratic. Check engine light came on. Checked the code. My Haynes manual says it is the vehicle speed sensor. The manual tells me to take it to a dealer for this problem. Using the repair info at Autozone.com they say that the VSS is built into the speedometer. How can I repair this?

Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 94 civic vehicle speed sensor

Have you heard of Alldata? you can go to this web-site, register your own car for like $15 and find out how to do just about anything to your car. Including diagnostic flow charts for codes. The web-site url is

www.alldatadiy.com

dont worry I am not a bot, just a Auto mechanic.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-26-2007, 08:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 94 civic vehicle speed sensor

check the connection on the speed sensor. mine did the same thing i sprayed it with electrical cleaner and it went away also my buddies did the same thing. its on the transmission on the passenger side closer to the firewall. if you clean it and it doesnt help you could just change it yourself on my 96 it was cake.just get a new one i belive their relatively cheap. good luck

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Default VSS '94 Civic DX

The information was helpful. But I don't know if this is also common, but the check engine light on mine turn on after 10min of driving and it comes off every time I turn off the car and turn it back on... Idk if that is because of the vss... Any ideas??

Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM

VSS if your speedo isnt working and you have that CEL coming on at "random" times. It could be wiring, but if you car is stock, I would highly doubt the wiring is at fault.

I have noticed when my VSS was not working, that once I sped up past 45ish, then dropped back down below 30mph, the light would come on. Speedo was not working obviously. I had my GPS giving me speeds.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The VSS is mounted on top of the transmission, at the back, above where the two CV axles go in. It has a 3-wire plug.

Models before 1992 have a mechanical speedometer with VSS built into the speedometer.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Alright.. .Thank you guys...
So I've realized that after I've driven about 5 miles and I press on the break pedal... my check engine light comes on.... =/???

Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Whenever the CEL has come on, you can read out the code to see why. The code is supposed to be stored even after you turn the key off.

The VSS code is set when there is no signal from the VSS, yet the engine is spinning well above idle speed with zero reading from the TPS (no pressure on the gas pedal). The only way that can happen is when the car is rolling at speed in gear with no throttle, in which case the VSS should not be reading zero.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by RoroGuanaco
Alright.. .Thank you guys...
So I've realized that after I've driven about 5 miles and I press on the break pedal... my check engine light comes on.... =/???
Check the codes, but I am pretty sure you just went back over what I previously said.

"I have noticed when my VSS was not working, that once I sped up past 45ish, then dropped back down below 30mph, the light would come on. Speedo was not working obviously. I had my GPS giving me speeds."

Replace the sensor if the CEL code is still showing VSS.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Question

Well, the thing is the I took the car to Autozone to get the check engine read, and they told me that they can't because the car is a '94. and that they can only scan from '95 up... idk if that's true, but i havent been able to read the code for it..

But like I said, it only comes on after I drive for a while and then it goes off when i turn the car off and if I turn it back on its not there anymore.... so im thinking it could be because of the VSS not working at all.