Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 honda civic won't start after a long day...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Default 94 honda civic won't start after a long day...

I have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wiresand the coil. I have replaced the timing belt, fuel filter and the fuel pump is working. My car won't start after a long day of stop and go and regular use of my vehicle. The engine will turn over but won't start. If I let the car sit for a little while to cool down the engine will start. the more stop and starting I do throughout the day the more of a chance the engine won't start.I can let it sit over night andknow in the morning the car will work for the day.SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 94 honda civic won't start after a long day...

When the car won't start, try to narrow the problem to an issue with the fuel or ignition system:

Fuel system -- Listen for the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for a few seconds below the rear seats when you turn the ignition key ON but don't crank the engine. If you don't hear the fuel pump prime, then you may want to check whether you have a faulty main relay, which routes power to the fuel pump.

Ignition system - Test for spark at the plugs. Remove a plug wire, insert a spark plug in the end, ground the threads on a convenient metal part of the engine, and have a buddy crank the engine. You should see a bright spark at the tip of the plug. Repeat for remaining plug wires. If you don't have spark, then you might have a problem with the coil or igniter unit in the distributor.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 94 honda civic won't start after a long day...

check your main relay.. to do that.. listen carefully (in a quiet place) when you turn the ignition to ON position (not to start)... you should hear a click.. if you hear a click.. you should able to start... if no click, then the motor just crank...