Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94' starts, rough noise/idle

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Default 94' starts, rough noise/idle

1994 Honda Civic 1.5 Liter 4 cyl.
190k Miles, All Stock that i know of.

Normal Idle is around 900-1000. Recently(last few feeks) random times starting it would idle up and down between 1k and 1.5k.

Now a new problem has come, yesterday on way back home from a 20 mile trip from another city i wanted to turn heater on, to find out that it was blowing no heat. Then i looked at dashboard and saw that tempertaure gauge was as high as it could go. I then drove last 5 times to let it cool.

After starting the engine again, which seems to start up fine, is now idleing rough at 2k, with a winding noise or i really dont know how to explain to sound, which seems to come directly from the belt area.

What problems may i be facing? How much would it cost to fix?
If theres anything i can do to find information to get more help let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_uxwAdgOw
Recorded Sound Which it makes^^^^^

Last edited by Sbtflip; 05-26-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Adding Video/Sound
Old 05-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Chubby Chaser

sounds like you have a bad water pump, fill up radiator and let it run watch for a water leak in the area of the belts from under the car.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
sounds like you have a bad water pump, fill up radiator and let it run watch for a water leak in the area of the belts from under the car.
What exactly should i do?
Just open radiator cap and fill with water and turn on car and let it run and check?

Like the noise is bad to the point like i dont want it running much.(I definitely dont drive it)

Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Chubby Chaser

yes fill it back up with water close cap and start car and let it run while you look for water dripping/pouring out.
im 99% positive you have a bad water pump. and when you replace the water pump get a new timing belt also.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Hopefully you didn't burn up the engine. Never run it unless full of water. Check for smoke from the tailpipe.

Don't drive with a water pump that leaks or makes noise, besides losing the coolant and overheating, the pump can seize and strip the timing belt. Then you're likely to have valve damage.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
yes fill it back up with water close cap and start car and let it run while you look for water dripping/pouring out.
im 99% positive you have a bad water pump. and when you replace the water pump get a new timing belt also.
Filled it up Probably took 3/4+ of a gallon let it run for 3-5 mins.
The idle rpm seemed to have gone back down now unde 1.5k even under 1.3k rather than 2k.

Couldnt see any dripping, but then again im a worried wart and im checking in while its wet outside and just rained, so cant just look on ground for wet/dry. Put a pan in the general area of underneath the belts. And didnt catch anything.

But, after running it for 3-5 mins i just went ahead and opened radiator cap again, and filled it with more after and it took another 1/8th of a gallon to get back to full. Was told to check oil again cause i coulda blown gasket or w/e to look for white foam, messy oil. And i was fine, cept it was really low, half way up to where its marked.

Post-Oil Checks
Getting home yesterday with temp gauge at max temp as possible. I checked oil stick and it was really low like 1/8th of up where its marked. And was smoking(white). After letting engine cool, and checking oil again the oil was up at the marked area for the dip stick. And the just now checking it again after adding water to radiator, checked oil again and its half way up to the mark.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Hopefully you didn't burn up the engine. Never run it unless full of water. Check for smoke from the tailpipe.

Don't drive with a water pump that leaks or makes noise, besides losing the coolant and overheating, the pump can seize and strip the timing belt. Then you're likely to have valve damage.
What exactly is a burn up engine?

And i didnt get to check tail pipe for smoke. And by smoke i assume it would be "black smoke" Do i have to let card run/idle till operating temp then check tail pipe to do so?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Chubby Chaser

black smoke is ok, its the white smoke which means a blown headgasket,

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sbtflip
Filled it up Probably took 3/4+ of a gallon let it run for 3-5 mins.
The idle rpm seemed to have gone back down now unde 1.5k even under 1.3k rather than 2k.

Couldnt see any dripping, but then again im a worried wart and im checking in while its wet outside and just rained, so cant just look on ground for wet/dry. Put a pan in the general area of underneath the belts. And didnt catch anything.

But, after running it for 3-5 mins i just went ahead and opened radiator cap again, and filled it with more after and it took another 1/8th of a gallon to get back to full. Was told to check oil again cause i coulda blown gasket or w/e to look for white foam, messy oil. And i was fine, cept it was really low, half way up to where its marked.

Post-Oil Checks
Getting home yesterday with temp gauge at max temp as possible. I checked oil stick and it was really low like 1/8th of up where its marked. And was smoking(white). After letting engine cool, and checking oil again the oil was up at the marked area for the dip stick. And the just now checking it again after adding water to radiator, checked oil again and its half way up to the mark.
Is the imformation im giving, proving the water pump to be it. And then might as well replace belts since its in same area if taken to a mechanic?

How much should i exspect it to cost and how do i find what belts for my car.

sidenote: Whats the difference between timing belts, serpentine belts and so on. I see that i have 3 belts.
Guessing alternator, fan belt, and power steering?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes you have those 3 external belts. They have to be taken off to work on the timing belt / water pump so it's usually good to put new ones back on. The timing belt is under the gray plastic cover. Your Civic does not have a serpentine belt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94' starts, rough noise/idle