Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Civic cranks but wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Unhappy 95 Civic cranks but wont start!!!

My 95 Civic ran perfectly until one day it just turns but wont start.
I have checked EVERYTHING: Fuel pump OK, ICM is Ok and spark plug fires; PGM-FI main relay is also OK. I have sprayed carburetor cleaner into the intake manifold and crank the engine with open throttle and it almost starts without backfiring meaning timing is good, good spark and there is even some gas smell but nothing ......I just ran out of ideas except the feeling that maybe the factory alarm could be involved because nothing else makes sense. However I pressed the alarm overide button and and still engine turns but wont start.
One note: when I turn the key and hear the pump priming I crank the engine and I sense some gas got in because it hesitates to starts but then go flat. Please help

Old 05-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you checked for codes? The ECU could be injecting the wrong amount of fuel due to a sensor problem.

I don't think the 95's factory alarm does anything other than disable the starter and blow the horn. It doesn't stop the engine.

Make sure the fuel supply is working by checking the fuel pressure with a gauge. Disconnect the return line from the regulator to the firewall and see if gas flows out of the regulator when the pump runs. Another test is to unplug an injector and connect a light bulb (#194) to the plug. The bulb should flash when you crank to show that the ECU is driving the injectors.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 AM
HCF Member

Have you checked the firing order?? I messed with my wires one day and accidentally put them back on in the wrong order

Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 AM

I jumped the ECU code box to see for a code number but seems there is none stored in memory. Also the check engine on dash is not "on" so I assume its OK. Is this what you are talking about? I checked the Fuel supply and there is gas coming in from fuel pump but did not test the returning.
BTW-What is the (194) light bulb? I heard of the noid test but too expensive. Will a light circuit tester work?