Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Civic dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Default 95 Civic dies while driving

I did a search and found one exact same problem but there was no resolution to it.
I have a 95 Civic that has started to die while driving. It will die like the switch was shut off. This will happen at idle, driving steady state, decelerating and accelerating. Tach drops to zero even though engine is still turning while dead. No dash lights come on. Cold or hot. Timing belt, distributor, coil, plugs all replaced about 10,000 miles ago. Idle also seem to be lower than normal. If this were an American car I would suspect Crank position sensor. I do not think it is a bad coil because it has never failed to start right back up. It does sometimes only try to fire one cylinder for a bit and then it kicks right off. Any ideas? Is the crank sensor integral in the distributor? As you can guess from the replaced parts this has happened before but at that time it would not start at all and had no spark.

Rick

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM

The only thing I can possibly think of would be the ignition set-up where you put the key in. A buddy had the same issue with his Prelude and it turned out that there was something wrong with the ignition "switch". The key could be jiggled slightly and the car would shut off. He actually had it replaced under a Honda warranty and everything was fine from then on.

To answer your question, I believe the only crank positioning sensor in OBD1 vehicles (like yours) would be in the distributor.

I hope someone else can chime in with additional information for you.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it dies, don't touch the key, watch the oil and battery lights. They should come on any time the key is on but engine is not turning. If they don't come on, jiggle the key and see if they do. That would confirm a bad ignition switch.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 AM

just went thru a similiar issue with my wifes 93. intermittant stalling always fired back right back up always had spark when troubleshooting and ran fine til it stalled again.

no CEL but puter was kicking code 15. id bet yours is kicking the same code,

I replaced the ECM and coil and all is well. car feels more powerful too.

all the little shaking and pissing at idle disappeared as well

Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Unhappy 93 honda civic dies while driving...

I have a very similiar problem. My check engine light, when starting the car, must be off before my car will start. While I am driving, the car will just die -- like everything was shut off electrically - and the check engine light comes on again. I have to veer off the road and wait 5 - 10 minutes until my check engine light will go off again..and then my car will immediately start. We think it might be a relay switch but anyone have any idea why it keeps doing this? It only does it when the car is completely warmed up. Thanks for any expert honda help with this problem.