Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 civic dx auto problems

Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Default 95 civic dx auto problems

I know this has to be a repost so for that I apologize. Heres my issue I hope you guys can help me with:
When the car is cold it seems to work fine for a 10-mins or so, then the issue starts. The trans shifts fine, smooth etc. then it essentially stops working. I was test driving it earlier today and it drove fine forward so being half a block from my house I threw it in reverse went about 20ft and the tires locked up like it was in park. So I put her in drive and flipped a u turn and got it to my shop. So when I arrive the the gears including reverse were forward gears. In park it wants to surge forward enough to bog the engine but not enough to move more than a half an inch a minute.

I checked the fluid its red. does not have any sign of a burnt odor. Its not kicking a cel, on the #2 position on the ignition the cel stays constant. I thought I read something about that earlier?? The car has 155k on it and it is not driven hard at all. I messed with the kickdown cable and it does not do a thing. After a fire up on it and going through the gears sitting still I can hear a whine coming from the trans. I am not a honda guy but I am not an idiot either A friend of mine is and he suggested shifting solenoids. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you're getting the wrong gear for the position of the handle, the shifter cable must be messed up.

I think the 1995 is almost entirely mechanically controlled. The two solenoids are for overdrive and torque converter lockup, which are both only issued at highway speed.