Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 civic ex -identify 'heater inlet hose'for coolant flush T?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Question 95 civic ex -identify 'heater inlet hose'for coolant flush T?

Okay the picture on the back of this kit looks nothing like what's under the hood of my 95 civic ex coupe (MT). Am trying to do a coolant flush to get the rest of the crap out of the engine block after radiator rusted through and leaked, but I am not certain which of these is the "heater inlet hose" as termed on the instructions of the flush kit.:

"Two heater hoses extend from the fire wall to the engine ..Hose #1 runs fire wall to water pump, Hose#2 runs from fire wall to top of engine. This is the heater inlet hose."

Both of the hoses I see appear to go to the side and neither seems to go to the pump or to the the top so I'd like to confirm that I've got the right one before I go and make a mess. Here's the diagram from the service manual that colored for ease of reference - the red and blue the heater hoses and the yellow is the lower radiator hose which goes to the thermostat housing along with the red hose labeled "A". The blue "B" hose connects to ?? (is this a pipe that leads to water pump??):

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/209/capture.JPG

Sooo- Is it correct to call the red "A" hose to the thermostat the one they refer to as #2 and as the inlet hose at the top of the engine? and the blue hose "B" as their "hose #1 runs fire wall to water pump"?

The kit directions say to install the Tee into a "straight portion of the inlet hose, away from hot exhaust system" which I take to mean I should put in on the smaller red hose "A" somewhere between the firewall and the thermostat housing.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help on this...

Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

B is the inlet hose. The upper nipple leads out of the head into the heater. On the A hose, the pipe across the back of the engine connects the thermostat housing to the inlet of the water pump. On a Civic like many Japanese cars, the thermostat is on the bottom of the radiator rather than the outlet of the engine like most American designs.

I don't like those tees, they're just another thing to break / leak. You can get the same results by temporarily disconnecting the heater hose and holding your garden hose up to it. If "stop leak" has ever been used in the system you should disconnect both heater hoses and reverse-flush the heater core, it will be stopped up.

Last edited by mk378; 07-20-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks very much! So I will use that B hose to attach the Tee from the kit and then it should be okay to follow the directions as written I guess. ..

I was actually going to add a little extra length by putting the T at the end of the hose where it connected and add enough after the Tee to attach that where the original hose connects then remove when done with the flush - It didn't seem like a good idea to cut stuff that wasn't already leaking... And that way I won't be making a tremendous puddle in the driveway and getting water everywhere while the hose is running.

Just didn't know which one to append with the tee since their description on the kit is for domestics and I didn't wan't it to be the wrong one! It's never had anything added like Stopleak but then neither has it ever been flushed I don't think - or if it has it was long ago since the coolant that was left was opaque brown from the rusted out radiator. Wanted to make sure that the new one doesn't start off with old sludge. y'know?

Thanks!